Some shadows are pitch black, indoors only(Skyrim,oldrim)

fixing bugs
  • Author

Re: Some shadows are pitch black, indoors only(Skyrim,oldrim

Thanks wolfgrimdark. I thought You have done something more then switching to latest(315) enbseries, like changing something in your preset(code or something, I do not know much how all this works). I am still amazed on how little I found about this issue, one post on reddit. Usually people kinda freak out when there is something wrong with their modded Skyrim, so I assume not many have this problem. I'm glad You guys helped me find source of it as disabling SSS is not a big deal.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Folks, i need savegame, enbseries.ini, enblocal.ini, all external shaders used (weather too if used), skyrimprefs.ini and skyrim.ini files. Can't find myself this bug and now have laptop to check it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

My current save games have about 150 mods so don't think they would run for you. I think I have a clean save in Helgen so will try tonight to have a mod free saved game with the save at the Bannered Mare behind the counter where I saw the issue with the book. But won't be able to get it to you till after work tonight.

No weather for the preset I was using and I can easily link to the preset the issue was reported on my Nexus site:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/download/1000249255

I will also try to get you my own settings later. I will note the code in that file is pretty old and doesn't work with enbhelper.dll which is why it doesn't do weather. If I get a chance will try some presets with newer shader code (like Rampage or Snapdragon) and see if it is tied to preset settings.

Another user reported the issue as well and had this to say:
Personally it only shows weird artifacting (super black shadows) on self shadows, or when a light source gets blocked by arm or something and the shadow casts itself on the player characters body. I hope that helps a bit!.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

EDIT: Finally was able to duplicate it! It seems to be preset specific though which is interesting. More in a bit.

Okay this took a couple hours to narrow down and still not clear what the issue is - but at least I can duplicate it now on a clean save with no mods or DLC installed. It seems preset specific as I could not duplicate this on some presets. The GS Azura preset, however, it happens consistently.

Here is a zip file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Amn ... VNGYTAycUU

It has the complete Azura preset with the binary, enblocal, enbseries.ini, and all the shaders being used. It uses weathers but I tested with weathers enabled and with weathers disabled (and no enbhelper.dll installed) and the artifact was still there. I tried changing the SSS settings to what I had in another preset that did not have the problem but it made no difference. I enabled/disabled all effects one at a time and only SSS being disabled fixed the issue. I changed the text alpha flag from true to false and neither made a difference.

Also in the ZIP is a clean save with no mods or dlc - just skyrim and update files. I did have SKSE installed. It is saved in the Bannered Mare in Whiterun behind the bar with Helga. The save is of my test character looking at a book behind the counter which has the issue.

I will note I only disabled all the plugins. Since my mod install is large and complex I did not want to uninstall everything - so just disabled the plugins so the save would not have them in it. But my texture packs and files were all installed.

This image below is taken right after I saved the game to show you what I was seeing:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4401/3627 ... 6a7f_o.png

My guess, then, is it might be something coded in error in one of the shader files and hence not a problem with binary 315 directly.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sadly it crashes when i try to load saved game. I'll try to find that place from screenshot.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Okay, fixed. Will release soon with some other changes.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ah sorry the save didn't work for you but glad you figured out what was happening. I will be happy to test out a fix when you have one.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Btw, your ssao/ssil setting are overkill by performance. When using supersampling, quality is much better than usual, also EnableComplexFilter greatly increase quality, so FilterQuality should be lowered than usually. I recommend to start with very low FilterQuality and use ssao visualisation to see when it's okay. SourceTexturesScale can be 0.5 easily with barely visible quality loss, but much better texture caching.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Thanks for the tips and I saw you released the update so trying it out now.