[Skyrim] problems after upgrading .3xx and downgrading back

fixing bugs
  • Author

[Skyrim] problems after upgrading .3xx and downgrading back

Hi,

I wanted to check out .3xx and upgraded, it didnt work out, so I had to go back to ~ .272, the problem is after I go back, certain things in the ENB broke down, while other things work perfectly,

I tried clean install (only keeping my weather files) , different versions between .250 - .292, checked with original weather files of NLA to see if my weather files ok, ... etc, no help.

So, what broke down: SKYLIGHTNING, MIST, and some of SKY,
So, no fog, at night sky is black and does not blend to terrain, at day it is absurdly white.
Mist also does not work.

Other artifacts: when I move back and forward (w,s) everything fine, but with strafe (a,s), I have a carbon copy artifact of all visible meshes for a millisecond

Also, everything is %30 less bright in the world.

Other than this, most of the things work correctly in the ENB, still hard to tell and check.

There are no mod changes before and after, it is driving me crazy, I ran out of ideas.

Anyone?

Normal shots from my archive:

Now:

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Skyrim] problems after upgrading .3xx and downgrading b

These versions are compatible with each other, i don't know what you did to it, but definetly not because you made downgrade. Remove all presets entirely, you probably mixed something from different presets. Delete all files from enbseries folder, except helper plugin there.

Found the problem after intensive testing :)

It had to do with skyrim thinking and telling to ENB that I am in interior instead of exterior.

That is why nothing was changing when I changed values in ENB.

I read another post regarding this at http://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/viewt ... =21&t=2191,

but no luck, continue searching what can cause in skyrimprefs to make enb think it is interior :))

not skyrimprefs, tried a clean one,
not driver, but reverting back to an older nvidia driver solved my loading screen flickering issue (independent from this problem, was there for a while)
I am stuck again...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Then maybe you have something disabled manually in skyrimprefs.ini? For example, no shadows from sun/moon means that it's not exterior.

I tried a lot of things in skyrimprefs, no luck.

So currently everything is beautiful in interiors, Interior Factor = 1,
Exteriors messed up -> Interior factor = 1

Other things like time, location detected correctly by enb.

bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bShadowsOnGrass=1
bFloatPointRenderTarget =1
bDeferredShadows=1

(Both in MyGames folder and MO profile)

which was the solution in previous cases of this problem according to forums here

Can you give more insight on how do you get EInteriorFactor?

Does it derive from if shadow engine of skyrim working in a certain mode, or does it directly read if cell is interior or not? I dont know.

Maybe that will help which direction of debugging to go...

(BTW, sun casts shadows outside, but ENB still thinks interior)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Some modifications change lights in interiors adding sun shadows, so mod detect that as exteriors, but your case is different. I remember few times users reported issue, but don't remember what was that. I only know that some setting in skyrimprefs.ini change typical render pipeline flow and that's why mod unable to detect exteriors, this is because shadows of the sun are changed (disabled or another shadow type is set). Check that iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3, iShadowMode=3, bShadowMaskZPrepass=0, bMainZPrepass=0, iShadowFilter=3

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Have you tried backing up your Skyrim preferences and testing the default ones, with just then changes required by ENB?

I too suspect something in them got changed, or maybe MO messed up things. It's always best to keep the preferences as read-only files.

Yep, here are my tries:

enb settings backup + my weathers + new enb + mods = interior 1
... other variations.... then:
clean enb + original nla + skyrimprefs backup wih correct enb related settings = interior 1
... other variations...
finally: clean enb with original settings + no mods + no sweetfx + skyrimfolder cleanup + new skyrim and skyrimprefs ini with just enb required settings + make sure MO does not overwrite + stable old nvidia driver that I know it works with backup settings that I know it works + new savegame = still interior 1

I gave up and realized the only thing I didnt do was to reinstall, then I thought if I am going to reinstall, why not install skyrim SE

So I started to take this is as sign for migrating to skyrim SE.

So following days, I will slowly add a selection of working mods of mine to SE, download SE versions from nexus ...etc

Hope it will be more stable than skyrim.

Well, Skyrim SE was not that ready ... So I tried to reinstall Skyrim and found the problem while migrating to the new installation one by one.

It was one of the files that came with Sweetfx: dxgi.dll.

Apparently at some point I reinstalled sweetfx, or I dont know... I dont remember if that file was there or not.

And I didnt delete it at my debugging process thinking it was skyrim related file.. ...

And the funny thing is for my sweetfx preset, or I dont know maybe in general, it is not required.

Anyway, if I have dxd9.dll(enb), dxd9_sweetfx.dll, dxgi.dll -> Interior 1
if I have dxd9.dll(enb), dxd9_sweetfx.dll -> Interior 0 and still sweetfx color pass,

So, I assume maybe directx11 related file ... I dont know.