[Skyrim] Weird outline on spells in first person!

fixing bugs
  • Author

[Skyrim] Weird outline on spells in first person!

I got a nasty problem which i can not seem to resolve on my own, so i need some help of you guys on these forums :-)

so here is my probem:

See the outline arround the spell? This happens with every dark spell, like Detect life, All conjuration spells, everything that is dark in general.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Skyrim] Weird outline on spells in first person!

Wrong alpha blending setting i suspect, probably editable in NifEditor or CK for the particle effect or sprite which is represent glow. How can i see this myself? Don't have any dark spells.

Well it is on basically every spell in hands that is dark/purple colored, and i already played with the alpha setting in nifskope, no changes, but what i noticed is that if i turn on original object processing the problem is solved, but then i do not have any water paralax effects and the likes.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Give me basic instructions how to get that spells at almost beginning of the game, otherwise i can't test.

Player.addspell 000211EF

into the console, then equip the spell, once the spell is equipped and the hands are hold towards the sky the effect is produced.

EDIT: Found out that something inside the .nif in conjunction with enb is causing the problem, as you already said it was about the alpha blending, the .nif has the blend method for "Destination Blend Mode" set to "Invert Source Alpha", the correct "Destination Blend Mode" should be "One", but since it is working as it should without enb something in my files could be wrong, so what exactly is the switch for "original object processing" actually affecting in the setting files and which files is it affecting?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sorry, i can't see bug myself. Tried to switch blending mode to non additive, no luck. Processing of transparent effects by UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=false just modify brightness, gamma of them, so if bug is visible like that i guess any alpha data is not zero on the edges (from texture or from vertex colors). You may not see the issue with values for particles and sprites set to 1. Another reason is negative output from shader, modified by some parameters in the nif, check out that all variables are positive (colors, brightness, emissive, what is in there). The last thing came to mind, this can be because of object drawed to depth or used in operation which remove transparent objects from depth computation (it's specific to my mod), so you may edit that in nif properties to ignore z-write and probably z-test also. Try to turn on/off dof, volumetric sun rays and mist, they use depth like that.

Image Image

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Found that bug, i see it when looking on to models with reflection enabled and high level of it. Will do some debugging and report soon.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Well, i have bad news. One of recent versions introduced code which draw transparent objects to additional depth and this allow to fix a lot of bugs (f.e. some hair mods looks wrong in the mist with old versions). I can't disable it just for fire spell and patch it for this shader only (for sure other objects will be affected). Problem is in mesh used for it, transparency in shader computed from some constants as generic scaling and from vertex color. It do not have texture of any kind. I don't know what is it made for, probably simulate glow. Anyway, it must be replaced with textured version or colors of vertices on sides must be set strictly to 0. I don't know if alpha value in vertices exist at all, guess so if blending mode set to srcalpha/invsrcalpha. If that object is sphere, probably it's not fixable as mesh and need to assing different properties which actually make it work faded out on sides by opacity (fog above mountains made like that).

Thanks for the answers, i have it kinda fixed by editing the meshes now, the alpha property was changed from 4333 to 4109 in nifskope (InvSrcAlpha set to One) and i do not see any kind of problems so far, so that means if anyone else is having these issues this could be fixed like this, like the particle patch fixes some meshes.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Good to hear you got the issue sorted out, seems like a typical case.

What meshes are affected? I can add them to the particle patch so that others can simply download the patch and go.