Suddenly Can't Edit ENB Settings

fixing bugs
  • Author

Suddenly Can't Edit ENB Settings

This is an issue that just started today. I have not changed anything or added any new mods or updated any drivers. I can no longer tweak the settings in the enbseries.ini at all. Specifically, I can change the numerical values of settings both in the ini file itself and also with the in-game GUI but those changes have NO effect on the game. As I said, this started out of nowhere.

I downloaded several ENB profiles as well just to make sure it wasn't something I had screwed up with my preferred ENB preset. Same issue on all of them. I also tried using different versions of the ENB binary itself. Same issue. It's very strange and even more frustrating. Now, if I deactivate something listed under [EFFECT] then that will change in game. For example, if while in game i press shift + enter and pull up the GUI and uncheck the box for bloom, the bloom will deactivate. But if I go down to the [ENVIRONMENT] settings and raise the value of the bloom all the way up or all the way down, nothing happens. It doesn't change the game at all. Same goes for changing direct lighting, ambient lighting, point lighting, etc. etc.

I have disabled all lighting mods just to be safe (though i swear yesterday and every day up until today I could make these tweaks even with Climates of Tamriel and ELFX installed). I cannot get this to work. And if I change the ENB settings in-game and click "save configuration" it does in fact save the configuration. If I change everything to random values then click save and exit the game then go into the Skyrim folder and open the enbseries.ini, it does reflect all of the changes I made. Those changes just do not affect the game at all anymore. My last step is going to be uninstalling everything. Skyrim, Nexus Mod Manager, everything. But that seems very drastic so I would like to make sure I have checked absolutely everything first. I'm fairly experienced at playing around with mods and I've tried everything I can think of. Like I said, it all worked perfectly yesterday. I haven't changed anything since then. Just booted up, started playing, thought a particular spot in the game looked a little too bright so opened up the GUI to tweak and noticed nothing worked. Any thoughts?

Re: Suddenly Can't Edit ENB Settings

And I also tried deleting the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini as well as verifying the game cache. Neither fixed the problem. Also rolled back my video card drivers, not that I thought it would work because they haven't updated in about two months and, like I said, this was all working fine up until today. Still can't fix it. AA, AF and AO are all disabled in my video card settings just as they were yesterday when it was all working fine.

Tried deleting everything in the Skyrim folder and reinstalling through steam. No mods active, only an ENB profile. Still doesn't work. Same problem. The individual [EFFECTS] work and if I disable them using the GUI then you can see the game change, but changing the values on all of the other settings like [ENVIRONMENT] and [FIRE] and [BLOOM] etc. etc. don't change anything. Please oh please help.

SOLVED!!!

Discovered the solution by trying out an old ENB profile, happened to be Project ENB, just to see if it still worked and let me edit the settings. Turns out, it did work, and do you why? Because I forgot to add enbhelper.dll. So I went back to the original enb profiler and enb version I was using when this problem started and made sure to delete enbhelper.dll and suddenly everything is back to normal and working again. Added enbhelper and the issue starts again, can't edit any enb settings. So enbhelper.dll is clearly the culprit. I still cannot figure out why though. As I said, everything was working fine for months up until a few days ago, and I had been using enbhelper the entire time so I don't know what changed. But for now, removing enbhelper.dll did the trick for me.