Enb SuperSampling Resolution Artifacts

fixing bugs
  • Author

Enb SuperSampling Resolution Artifacts

Hi, I have been having issues with the enblocal setting that allows for supersampling resolutions. When supersampling with this method there seems to be a lot of artifacts/aliasing that doesn't occur when supersampling with GeDoSaTo, essentially making the supersampling look the same or worse than using a native resolution. I would use GeDoSaTo but it causes crashes for me after extended sessions with enb enabled. I don't really have any knowledge on this topic, but could the artifacts be caused by the downsampling algorithm that enb uses? In GeDoSaTo I use Lanczos and it provides a crisp and aliasing free image. Thanks for any reply :).

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Enb SuperSampling Resolution Artifacts

Its driver downscaling, which is usually bilinear filtering and it work good only for resolutions x2 to native and borderless fullscreen mode.

ENBSeries wrote:Its driver downscaling, which is usually bilinear filtering and it work good only for resolutions x2 to native and borderless fullscreen mode.
Weird, even at 3620 x 2036 (2x my native 2560 x 1440) I still get artifacts. It's a shame that GeDoSaTo crashes my game and the driver downsampling is so poor compared to the lanczos algorithm. Are there any other options to downscale/eliminate aliasing when using an enb? I don't know if I can go back to enb with aliasing or a non-enb game :).

By the way I should specify I am trying to get this working on Fallout: New Vegas with the latest binaries.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

3620 x 2036 (2x my native 2560 x 1440)
It is not x2 by sides. X2 is 5120*2880. Other options are edge antialiasing or temporal antialiasing. Or effect.txt based smaa/fxaa from other modders. I don't want to make supersampling of other downsampling types, because im lazy to find all dependencies of my existing code to resized render targets code for supersampling. Btw, long time ago i remember that users with NVidia cards used supersampling in drivers, but with some specific setting for it. Posted here on the forum 2-4 years ago i guess.

Weird, I have tried both 5120 x 2880 (Which is the res I used in GeDoSaTo) and 3620 x 2036 in borderless fullscreen mode while still getting the same artifacts. Nvidia DSR causes the same artifacts strange enough and creating custom resolutions (Which I think is what you were referring to in the past on here) hasn't worked for me for years :(. I'll keep trying different things but I'm honestly not sure what else there is beside the antialiasing options you described which aren't quite as effective as supersampling. I saw some other people that got GeDoSaTo working on Skyrim 32bit and Fallout: New Vegas using the interceptOnlySystemDlls false in GeDoSaTo, and even though that works flawlessly for creating a good image still causes a crash after a short while, and even when set to false when I could get enb working with GeDoSaTo it stilled had the same crash after a short while. This is getting into territory that isn't directly enb related so thanks so much for the responses you gave!

Wow, you must have a really beastly rig if you are able to use Lanczos interpolation in gameplay, considering the processing load this algorithm requires.
What kind of framerates do you get?

In New Vegas, I could get 90+fps with a GTX 1080 and 4790k with some drops to 60 rarely because New Vegas just seems to like to do that sometimes. I didn't use enb detailed shadows though, just ambient occlusion, otherwise with detailed shadows I ran closer to 60. That is what breaks my heart about not getting preventing the crashes because it ran and looked so great.