Some shadows are pitch black, indoors only(Skyrim,oldrim)

fixing bugs
  • Author

Some shadows are pitch black, indoors only(Skyrim,oldrim)

Long story short, I am using Aeon ENB for Skyrim(oldrim) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkhLVRNxBBw happens.
Pictures: Image
This is from my heavly modded Skyrim(around 350mods and 180plugins). Did new fresh with just VW,NLVA and Aeon, problem still occurs.

I followed the instructions, installed VW and deactivated esp, downloaded NLVA, deleted all files except esp(and left it activated) then downloaded Aeon for NVLA, added data folder as normal mod and then copied ENB files where tes5.exe is. Copied enbhost and d3d9.dll.
Adjusted memory lines in enblocal.ini and SkyrimPref.ini for ENB.

i5-6500 3.2GHz
16Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Driver according to Afterburn 382.05

P.S. Tried with Chromogenic ENB and RealVision and nothing like that happens. Everything was tested on enbseries v0315

EDIT: I tried everything, except changing enbseries to older... and guess what fixed it... On enbseries v0314 and older it seems like problem is gone.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Some shadows are pitch black, indoors only(Skyrim,oldrim

Did the author of Aeon ENB update to 315? There was a big change in 315 as Boris pulled out the DOF code and put it into its own file. It may be a completely different issue but you could try renaming the AEON enbeffectprepass.fx to enbdepthoffield.fx which is the new DOF file and see if that solves it for using 315.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

From video bug looks like inverted colors for dark areas and most likely for ssao. Code of that type not changed, so maybe it's really some issue with external shaders, try to rename as suggested.

Latest files and the once that I am using are from July 2016. Iv'e tried renaming and did not worked. It bugs me that I found only one reddit post about this and nothing else. I wonder what may cause it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You can try to replace files with defaults one by one and compare when bug starts to occur. Or turning on/off effects in enbseries.ini, things will be more clear to understand.

Subsurfacescattering is the issue. I changed values and nothing made difference except those that completely turn it off.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I was really curious about this, especially after a user reported it on my preset page as well. I have been able to duplicate this bug fairly quickly - seen it on a few objects. In all cases disabling Subsurfacescattering removes the black artifacts. Afraid I am just a layman and don't have much code knowledge to add to this. But in case it is useful thought I would report it. It doesn't do it on earlier binaries so maybe something got introduced in 315? Sorry I don't have much more to offer help wise.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ok, ill check it when will have computer after few weeks

May I ask You wolfgrimdark what have You done to replicate it? I'm asking from pure curiosity. And I assume You did not had this issue before.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Dexter411 wrote:May I ask You wolfgrimdark what have You done to replicate it? I'm asking from pure curiosity. And I assume You did not had this issue before.
Sure. I made sure I was using binary 315 (most current) and then tried it on my Azura preset. I entered the Bannered Mare in Whiterun and saw it in two places. Behind the bar where Helga works there is a book on the shelf. Moving the camera closer and backwards revealed the black blotch that would shrink and grow. Disabling SSS stopped it from appearing. The second place I saw it was in the cooking area of the Mare. One of the NPC's there had a robe on and on the lower part of the robe the black splotch appeared. The book was very reliable for showing the issue.

I am not a shader coder so maybe there is something else at play here. Certain texture types, certain SSS values (which might explain why some presets don't show the problem but other ones do), or some obscure thing with a video card/driver. We have the report of the OP, I was able to replicate the issue, and a user on my preset page reported it with Azura. So something is happening but no idea what.

EDIT: Should have added I also like to play with some older binaries 221, 236, and 262 and never had this issue with them. I also used 314 for awhile and don't recall seeing it but I can't really offer that up as proof of anything as I used it very seldom since I tend to play with 236 the most often.