[SkyrimSE] Framedrops and stutter when ENB loads weather config

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

[SkyrimSE] Framedrops and stutter when ENB loads weather config

I am having the problem that there is always a visible stutter in the game when the weather changes and ENB loads the new weather-specific config.

The stutter is still present in an unmodded game - https://streamable.com/yla6v6, but becomes a lot more noticeable with a full mod loadout https://streamable.com/v5meab.

I have a Ryzen 5600X CPU, 16GB of ram, RTX 3070 GPU and an SSD, the game is smooth otherwise, so raw performance should not be a problem.

Other than that I am using the latest ENB binaries, Skyrim 1.5.97, and Windows 10. I reproduced the problem with 3 ENBs, my own fork of Ruvaak Dahmaan, Rudy for Cathedral and Grim ENB.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [SkyrimSE] Framedrops and stutter when ENB loads weather config

Hard to answer, because mod read weathers at the beginning from files (or when press Apply Changes button), then just use internal data to interpolate between weathers, so any performance impact should not exist. But when mod editor menu is open, it do read weather files on weather change, which can give stuttering if system not properly configured for file caching, lack of ram or have torrent or other application running on background which works with files intensively and kill cache of previously accessed files.

ENBSeries wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 18:24 mod read weathers at the beginning from files (or when press Apply Changes button), then just use internal data to interpolate between weathers, so any performance impact should not exist. But when mod editor menu is open, it do read weather files on weather change
You're right, this isn't an ENB issue after all, just an unlucky coincidence. The stutter I saw was just infrequent enough that I had the idea that changing weathers and ENB's config loading might be the cause. And when I checked with ENB's menu open a stutter really did happen. However without the menu the game remains smooth, so something else is to blame. Looks like I'll need to go crawl through my mod list now.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

When enb editor is open, weather files are read on weather changes, that's why stutering occurs and this can't be fixed, it's requirement to function properly. So not a problem with your mods