[Skyrim LE] Hair look like they don't have anti-aliasing, what can I do?

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

[Skyrim LE] Hair look like they don't have anti-aliasing, what can I do?

Hello, I am new to ENB so have patience with me, I started using it 2 weeks ago.

I wanted to use rudy from nexusmods (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41482). I followed the install instructions on the description page and used an ENB manager that basically copypastes/removes all files needed at once, to be faster. There is something that really bugs me, which is that hair look jagged as if there was no antialiasing.

When ENB is disabled, or when under GLOBAL/use effect is disabled, the game has it's original look , and hair is fine:

When i try to use rudy nla or rudy vanilla, hair looks worse:

rudy NLA

rudy vanilla

I tried toying around myself with the settings, but i achieved nothing. Currently i am playing with basically everything in the "effects" section disabled, yet the hair still looks like that. The only thing that makes difference is to disable "use effect".

I asked around in other forums, someone told me to do something in "SMAA" settings, but i don't have any section called like that, yet there is in this picture i found:
https://external-preview.redd.it/13lF4i ... bfb1e1e652.

So, why i don't have this "SMAA" section ? Could it be the thing that makes hair look fine? What should i do?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Skyrim LE] Hair look like they don't have anti-aliasing, what can I do?

This is detailed shadows effect.

Apparently it's not, these pictures were taken with detailed shadows effect already on

OH, wait, gotcha. You meant that when it's ON, it causes hair to go bad, not when it's off. Weird, i thought that having things turned on would make the game look better not worse.
Turning it off makes hair look better but i lose shadows improvement on the environment, i guess i'll have to find a compromise in the "shadow" section

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

There is no compromise about this. Hairs natively too thin and too transparent to cast sharp shadows from sun, so this can't be faked by effects unless it's done intially by game developers or by some mod.

again, im not an expert so i might just say bullshit;

theory: there is a program to modify 3d models of skyrim called nifskope, do you think i can write inside the hair’s file to ignore its shadows, or somehow tell the game to ignore shadows of this specific mesh ?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Yes, you can do this but then other bugs will appear from any effects which depends from depth data, like depth of field, ao/il. To do that, disable z-write or make object with alpha blending (transparency) but actual transparency equal to opaque or just a tiny transparent, then such object not be rendered to depth buffer which is used to compute detailed shadows.