problems regarding fps on enb.

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

problems regarding fps on enb.

So recently i installed ENB and the Enhanced Shaders. This wasn't my first time trying an ENB, but at the same time im not quite experienced and im hoping there is a quick fix. Also I'm fairly inexperienced with pc and modding in general.

(Note: I use MO2 so the only things that are modifying my base games directory are NVSE and NVAC. That's how I know it isn't any mods. Also; MSI OSD lists D3D9 before my FPS, which is also why I'm assuming its ENB. Anyways, I don't believe I modified my .ini files, at least not substantially, and I know for a fact that I don't have the FPS limiter on in the enblocal files. Even if i did have it on, i have the limit put to 60. i also have thoroughly messed with my v-sync. i have the games v-sync off and im using nvidia vsync because i get horrible tearing without it. At least I believe I had it set that way, I likely did recently change that when this started happening to see if anything like modifying them would fix it but it wouldn't)

With all that in mind, i have the 4 gb patcher and a 4gb multicore threader both in my data directory, not sure if this is an issue. I'm launching it through steams normal desktop app, so through the launcher, yet even the main loading screen is showing as reaching at max 30 fps. Im also certain ive modified my min and maximum fps via the inis. I've been scouring the internet for a fix for this but have been too asocial to actually ask anywhere. really anything helps at this point.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: problems regarding fps on enb.

I don't see a question. And no information about videocard, display resolution to at least assume what performance you should have. Anyway, if you have 60hz display, but your fps is 45 or 30 mostly, that's vsync and only way to keep it but get higher fps is to configure graphics to have stable over 60 fps. Also make sure WaitBusyRenderer=false in enblocal.ini.

ENBSeries wrote:I don't see a question. And no information about videocard, display resolution to at least assume what performance you should have. Anyway, if you have 60hz display, but your fps is 45 or 30 mostly, that's vsync and only way to keep it but get higher fps is to configure graphics to have stable over 60 fps. Also make sure WaitBusyRenderer=false in enblocal.ini.
my bad... i shouldnt have posted here... ill just see about getting my post removed. dont want to cause any issues

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Don't understand. I didn't remove any posts.

ENBSeries wrote:Don't understand. I didn't remove any posts.
never said you did lmao. all i said was it was mistake to post here. which it was. because im not gonna get the help i need here. mostly because i cant communicate properly apparently, and im just gonna cause more problems by trying to be here, in a place i dont belong. so im just going to go.. i just wish i could delete my account lol...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I can delete your account, but do not think it's so difficult to explain what you have and what you want. Nobody gonna bite you here.

ENBSeries wrote:I can delete your account, but do not think it's so difficult to explain what you have and what you want. Nobody gonna bite you here.
im just absolutely horrible at comprehending/communicating specs. i had assumed it had nothing to do with my specs at first and thought it could be an easy change. yet i understand its always handy to know your specs, i dont. i feel like id break more than id fix just by following instructions that are simple.
honestly im just overwhelmed.

not sure exactly what specs id need to post but i was able to pull up this info
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
ACPI x64-based pc
and sorry to bother you but please let me know what i missed because its likely alot and i dont really know how you're supposed to type it lol. if this is all just something you dont wanna do thats fine. i will just continue watching tutorials from 2015 lmao. and again, sorry im such a noob lmao.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

With such rig i don't think the issue is in hardware performance, unless you run at 4k display resolution or have in NVidia control panel DSR or supersampling enabled. There are guides how to setup driver setting properly to "application controlled" mostly, that's first thing you should do. As i said before, lower fps stuck at 30 or 45 fps are always vsync issue. Very easy to check if inside game you look at the sky (so no other objects are visible on the screen), frame rate should increase to 60 (if your display is 60 Hz of course). If it did not increase, something stop this from happening, but not the graphics setting of my mod. If it increased, then slowly rotate camera to horizon and check how frame rate changes, if it at some moment drops to 45 or 30 instead of linearly decrease, then it's 100% vsync issue and to solve it, simplest way to disable some effects in the [EFFECTS] category of enbeffect.ini file or the same category in the editor window of the mod (press SHIFT and ENTER keys together to bring it inside game). Depending from preset performance also may be very different because various quality setting available. Anyway, try to set following values in enblocal.ini file (find and replace):

Code: Select all

DisableCloudsShadowInReflections=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
ForceLodBias=false
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
Inside skyrimprefs.ini there are setting for vsync too, i know guides to tweak it have some mistakes, so if suggestion above not gonna work, make backup of skyrimprefs.ini and skyrim.ini in My Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder (or just rename them), then start game from it's launcher and configure video setting again, check if issue is gone. If yes, then problem was in tweaked properties and that's need some effort to find which parameter is faulty by comparing backed up files and newly generated (i am using Beyond Compare tool for such things, but for sure there are other text compare editors), copy part by part and run game again and again till find which things are wrong and do not restore them.

Another thing, i remember people posted here complains that one of vsync do not work properly, so they tried various combination of my vsync option in enblocal.ini (EnableVSync), in the driver and in the skyrimprefs.ini (or skyrim.ini, don't remember which one) till find which one gives best performance.

At last but not least, EnableAmbientOcclusion=false, EnableSkyLighting=false and EnableDepthOfField=false set in the enbseries.ini file should give higher performance, but if you prefer to keep them, then you have to learn how to adjust by STEP guide (some documentation exist on this site, but outdated and incomplete).

UPDATE: it got fixed. apparently the issue was i followed too many tutorials lmao.
i was told to not use the games default v-sync as it may be problematic or sub-par and to turn on triple buffering and v-sync via my 3D program options in my NVidia control panel. i was able to change the issue by disabling triple buffering and setting my v-sync to "fast" and now it capped at 60, just the way i want it. Thanks to this forums help and info, i was able to fix this silly issue that was burdening me for 3 days. Very glad i decided to come here (even though i was terrified of being here) it was worth it. Thanks again for everything!!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I had a similar issue a long while back. Using certain v-sync settings I was always capped at 30 fps in Skyrim. I now use the FPS limit in ENB to manage things.