Fps and frametiming is better while Alt Tabbed FO4

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Fps and frametiming is better while Alt Tabbed FO4

So I noticed after installing enb that if I alt tab and unfocus the game while it is unfocused I gain about 10-20 fps. I also noticed the same thing happens when I turn off use effect but I gain around 20 - 30 fps since im not using the enb effects. Any idea why unfocusing the game through alt tab gives me more fps assuming its a enb problem?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fps and frametiming is better while Alt Tabbed FO4

Why do you think game do execute the same code while alt tabbed?

Oh sorry I should have been more clear I wasn't saying it was the same code I just mean't I noticed that the frametime graph stabilizes when I alt tab and the same stabilization happens when I turn off use effect but I have no idea what is actually happening which I why I was asking you.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I dont know how you measure fps when alt tabbed, because game almost stops. And what framerate graph do you mean?

Ah I use RivaTuner Statistics to measure fps and the graph im talking about is a frametiming graph that you can use with it which tells you how stable the framerate is. I used Fallout 4 Configuration Tool to turn off the pausing on alt tab in the ini and I play in borderless fullscreen so the game still runs when I alt tab.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Then i suppose in such case vsync not working or game display frames more often than draw them. My mod is absolutely immune to such things because it running on game own render thread. Did you try this without enbseries installed at all?

Yes I tried it without enb and couldn't replicate the same framerate increase but i think i figured out what was causing it. It seems to be due to the ssao setting because when im getting the bad framerate stability and I turn it off it goes away and alt tabbing doesn't increase fps anymore. In the future ill just play with it disabled to keep good fps. What confuses me though is my gpu doesn't even reach close to max load 60-80% load with that setting enabled yet I still get this problem. Apologies if this sounds really ignorant just trying to give you the most information I have.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

GPU usage is useless parameter for users and do not represent real usage of videocard. If you dont want to waste time, stop using any monitoring at all.

Gotcha ill keep that in mind for the future.