CTD memory allocation problem with Enboost [Skyrim LE]

solving problems with low performance
  • Author
*master*

CTD memory allocation problem with Enboost [Skyrim LE]

Hello,

I come here to ask for help. For the past few days I have had a CTD problem which is caused by poor memory allocation (I guess).
The crash often occurs when the LOD landscape needs to load, or not very long after. Example: when I leave Riverwood and go up towards bleak falls barrow where is the golden claw.

Here is the Crash Fix Plugin error message:

28 Apr 16:46:27 Skyrim has failed to allocate memory! Possibly running out of memory. Size / alignment of object being allocated was 89478640 / 0. Some things you can try: 1. Make sure
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage = true is set in enblocal.ini - if you don't have ENB then install ENBoost and enable this option. 2. Try set AlignHeapAllocate = 0 in CrashFixPlugin.ini - if you get additional crashes then put back to 1.3. If it's during ShowRaceMenu then close the menu from time to time to free memory. 4. Enable CustomMemoryBlock in CrashFixPlugin.ini to reduce memory fragmentation. 5. If it's during ShowRaceMenu then disable UseOSAllocators = 1 and re-enable after character creation is completed.

I have already optimized my game for years now and it has worked well so far. Most textures have a maximum resolution of 2048.
I installed the following programs to relieve memory:

=> Skse.ini (ClearInvalidRegistrations=1, EnableDiagnostics=1, iTintTextureResolution=2048, defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024, scrapHeapSizeMB=256)
=> CrashFixPlugin.ini (UseOSAllocators=1, AlignHeapAllocate=0, CustomMemoryBlock=1, CustomMemoryBlockTotalSizeMb=256)
=> Enblocal.ini (ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true, ReservedMemorySizeMb=1024, VideoMemorySizeMb=19894 I specify I have a CG Titan X of 12 GB VRAM and 16 GB of RAM)

Ps, I noticed that the ReservedMemorySizeMb= parameter is now blocked at 1024, before I used more (2048). Could the problem come from there?

Thanks for your help.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: CTD memory allocation problem with Enboost [Skyrim LE]

ReservedMemorySizeMb must be small, don't set things blindly there. Make sure enbhost.exe is in the game folder and when game is running, that process is automatically started too. VideoMemorySizeMb must be set by result from VRamSizeTest dx9 application which is available at enbdev.com. ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false is better if skse installed.

*master*

ReservedMemorySizeMb is large otherwise I see more memory crashes, I found a good compromise towards 768.
I have the enbhost.exe application in my Skyrim folder.
The VideoMemorySizeMb is from 20064 according to the VRamSizeTest dx9 test, I entered these figures.
ExpandSystemMemoryX64 is still on False.

My Skyrim folder now weighs 93 GB with textures optimized in 2048. I have 255 active plugins including a lot of merge for several years, with more than 1000 mods installed. The only crashes that I have relate to memory and occur from time to time. I think the only solution is to optimize the textures to reduce these crashes.

If you know other skse plugins or other techniques to gain a little more memory I am interested. I have already :

=> SKSE Plugin Preloader
=> Safety Load
=> Memory Blocks Log
=> Private Profile Redirector
=> Rogue Script Remover
=> Fixed Bug
=> Crash Fix
=> Enboost

Thank you

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Private Profile Redirector is not good thing for my mod, but in general, not about memory. You can try to use unsafememoryhacks, but then you must run game in windowed mode (f.e. borderless), otherwise in fullscreen it stop working as long as you switch by alt+tab to desktop. Smaller ReservedMemorySizeMb do not increase crashes, they occur by another reason. But big ReservedMemorySizeMb means that game have less memory available. Game crash not just from out of memory, but with high ReservedMemorySizeMb it will do this more often.

*master*

Private Profile Redirector is not compatible with ENB? What problems does this pose? shit then, I didn't know that. I will uninstall this SKSE plugin and test to see what changes in the game. Thanks for the advice!

Edit : I just saw an update to Private Profile Redirector in which it states that it has corrected problems with ENB: version 0.4 "Fixed trimming quote characters for values and space characters for sections, keys and values. Should fix visual issues with some ENB presets."

I don't know if I should uninstall it anyway ...

*master*

I just did tests and Private Profil Redirector is no longer useful to me. I even lose 10 seconds of loading time if it is installed. Thanks a lot for your help !

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

That plugin was many times reported as bring problems when trying to save changes with my mod, because all ini files are cached but not written to files. I do not have any benefits from caching ini files, but some people have and i do not understand what is so different, because Windows do caching very well to not bother with such things. Anyway, removing plugin just reduce some amount of memory used by it's library, not much, so problem not fixed, try unsafe hacks in enblocal.ini. Also skse have some memory patch and it's numbers can be changed, 512, 768, 1024, you can try different, but bigger not always means better.

*master*

For SKSE I use defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024 and scrapHeapSizeMB=256.

I'm going to try windowed mode with unsafe hacks. Can window mode be set to 1920 x 1200 in screen resolution?

This afternoon I played about 3 hours nonstop, and no crashes. Some stuttering and freeze, but it returned to normal, no crash.

thank you.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

enblocal.ini have borderless option which you can use to run game at any resolution as windowed, but i suggest windowed game mode selected anyway, plus those borderless parameters enabled. Screen tearing must be the problem cause of windowed mode as negative side effect.

*master*

Thanks for the advice, I'll do it.