[GTA SA] BusyRenderer with limiter off cause performance hit

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

[GTA SA] BusyRenderer with limiter off cause performance hit

I found it by accident.
BusyRenderer in ENB options, even with limiter off, causes performance hit.
I had this option enabled by default in V Graphics mod, and once I disabled it, it gave more FPS.

It was with 0.369, and I didn't test newer version yet, but maybe you will be interested if it still happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlZz8fEIb_M

Furthermore, updating V Graphics ENB version, enables ComplexShadows by default in this mod, causing additional performance hit.

Don't know whether it was fixed in newer version too.

Anyway, BusyRender and ComplexShadows enabled altogether (like it was in my case) decrease performance by double, so it may be worth to verify.

It may be bound to my specs and V Graphics mod, but still.

Regards

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [GTA SA] BusyRenderer with limiter off cause performance

This is how both of them supposed to work. Video driver have another thread to collect all data and send to videocard as soon as it's free, so usually game can do it's own business instead of waiting till driver and videocard done the job. But with busy render waiting option game keep waiting. This parameter is made to measure performance, also for some folks it helps to fix stuttering by doing stable fps instead of jumping.

Well, it may work as it was meant, but I try to say that this situation leads to an incorrect assumption in GUI that it is not used when FPS limiter is disabled.
Because, if it's limiter section, it's clear for everyone that it's bound to FPS limit option, nothing else. But why BusyRenderer has something to do with something else, and why it still affects performance while FPS limit is disabled? Nevermind, but I think it shouldn't be like that (at least from end user point of view and GUI operating).
I only figured out by accident that these options are not bound each other. But they're place in the same "limiter" section (FPS limiter right?). I was really surprised.

And at worse, you left BusyRenderer enabled by default, even in the newest ENB 0.398. It gives unnecessary performance hit.
And people making their mods like DirectX 2.0 or V Graphics used those settings without any change, giving poor performance of their mods from the very beginning.

I know that you develop SA ENB from the very long time, and it helped for some people in the past, but that's how the situation looks on current hardware. BusyRenderer no longer helps and you can check it on V Graphics yourself since you have similar GPU power like me, but just not AMD.

I think disabling that option by default is justified and I encourage you to make this change since it gives FPS boost.
And if updating ENB d3d9.dll file wouldn't cause automatically turning on ComplexShadows on mods created with older ENBs and their configs, then it would give another boost. I also noticed that by accident.

New SA ENB mods still appear, and so far, thanks to your hard work and dedication they were turning San Andreas into a piece of art, which I also consider your ENB itself. It still may be worth to work on it. Possibilities of your ENB are incomparable with anything else in this game and many others. You are a legend. Thank you.

@down
Thanks Boris, I owe you.
Last edited by deton24 on 02 Jan 2020, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

[LIMITER] category was choosen cause both options have the same performance impact, there is no [FPSLIMITER], so long time ago i decided to not bother and put in the same place. It's bad idea to change this now.
About waitbusyrender=true by default, it's my fault, most likely copied debug version of config file. Updated it now, thanks for report.
Complex shadows are on by default when config do not have this parameter yet, because i saw many times people can't understand what is the difference between old and new version while they already have some preset and don't bother to learn how to tweak something. So enable some new feature for them is must.

Re: [GTA SA] BusyRenderer with limiter off cause performance hit

tengo una pregunta, tengo una pc de bajos recursos, 4gb ram, AMD Sempron 140 y una GT 710 2GB DDR4.
tengo un enb series tipo dizz nicca y al entrar los fps me llegan hasta los 45 dependiendo la zona pero se ve como si estuviera en camara lenta y al activar el wait busy render los fps me bajan hasta los 27 pero ya no anda en camara lenta, mientras mas bajo los fps menos notorio es la camara lenta, no saben cual es la razon?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [GTA SA] BusyRenderer with limiter off cause performance hit

It's not because of low fps, but because BusyRenderer remove that slow motion issue. In the NVidia Control Panel you can reduce number of "Max Prerendered Frames" from 3 to smaller value, then it will be same effect as BusyRenderer=true (and fps will be lower too).