from 120+ FPS to 45 with ENB alone Skyrim Special Edition SE

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

from 120+ FPS to 45 with ENB alone Skyrim Special Edition SE

Hello,

I'm building a new mod setup and I don't even have many mods installed right now I'm working on the foundation weather/lighting/ENB setup
I installed:
- ENB 0.390 library
- Rudy ENB for Obsidian Weathers
- Obsidian Weathers
- ELFX Enhancer version with no additional options

Without ENB library and preset in directory = 120+ FPS (capped at 120) outside tutorial cave
With only 0.390 library in directory = ~85 FPS which is already a huge drop
With library and Rudy ENB preset = ~45 FPS which is not normal
SSAO and DOF and Improved snow shaders are already off
Removed Godrays and tried to tinker with BethINI to see if there was a conflicting setting but cannot isolate what causes this massive FPS drop

RTX 2070
1440p ultrawide gsync monitor
ryzen 2700x
16gb RAM Corsair Trident Z rgb 3200
WIN 10 Pro

Re: from 120+ FPS to 45 with ENB alone Skyrim Special Editio

ENB is a really GPU intensive mod, you are playing at a quite high resolution with only a 2070 and a ryzen 2700X. ~45 fps doesn't sound abnormal to me.
It's also possible you've got a CPU bottleneck, ryzen 2700X isn't a very good CPU for skyrim.
You could always try to turn off some of the effects from ENB or tweak some of the more performance heavy ones so that they don't annihilate your framerate.
That being said it is unlikely you will manage to get 120 fps with ENB on that hardware.

TBH I'm only hoping for 60 constant fps when heavily modded, I guess I'll ditch the whole ENB thing

*master*

I have almost the same config but 1080Ti and your fps appears perfectly in line with what I get.

I'd much rather play 40fps pretty than 120fps ugly but it's your call.

Yea... well I don't even have many mods installed yet that's just really foundation I wanna build on. If I get 45 fps now and it looks not very smooth when turning etc idk what it's going to be like when fully modded. I guess I'll do everything else first and see how much room I have for ENB and maybe tinker with settings and choose a performance ENB till I get 50+ fps constant.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Before disabling effects (unless there are some that you don't want, obviously) start by reducing the quality of the not so obvious effects and note that higher number is lower, so "1" is lower quality than "0".