Fallout 4. low textures, cursor issues

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Fallout 4. low textures, cursor issues

I just installed ENB amd the EMBoost from fallout 4 nexus this evening.
I used the 16GB RAM file replacer and, having 32GB RAM, 4GB VRAM, I increased my

[MEMORY]
ForceVideoMemorySize=true
VideoMemorySizeMb=28000

I left everything else the same.

I uninstalled everything I had that was on the "doesn't play well" list (overlays, logitech, etc)

And it installed fine. Took a bit longer to load the game however.

Unfortunately, when the game began, all of my graphics sucked. my settings are all on Ultra, yet now my textures are horrible.
I quit, re-checked my settings and reloaded. Still, everything looked like crap.

ALSO, when I Shift-Enter, my cursor appears, but also moves my point of view around. AND, the cursor doesn't extend into the menu area for ENB. So I can't even change any settings.

I couldn't find any related threads as there doesn't seem to be much discussion on this forum. A few pages of threads and we're into 2015.

Does ANYONE have any solutions?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 4. low textures, cursor issues

Nexus page says that you should set value experimentally. Turn down by 1gb and run game again till get best visuals and performance. But 28gb is too much anyway. Did you use VRamSizeTest Dx11 version? If it report lower size, then you cant set anything above without issues.

I based my values off Tapioks Fallout 4 ENBoost Optimal settings videos. And the 16GB file on Nexus.
I have 4GB video RAM, 32GB of RAM = 36GB Total. I lowered 6GB as per Tapiok's recommendation and then further lowered it another 2GB to give extra overhead.

DX11 VRamSizeTest returns a value of 56192

28000 < 56192

So how is 28GB too much?

And what about my cursor issues? Has anyone else had similar problems?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Mod use same cursor position as game do without interrupting game input, so you need to bring up console while editing parameters of the mod.

The more memory (above physical vram size) you set, the slower game is. Only when you have maxed out video setting and many mods installed, low value not allow to fit everything in vram, so for such case part of ram increase performance. If you set too big value, game will not bother to have streaming of textures and put them all at maximal resolution in to memory and transfering them from ram to vram is slow process (except GPU on CPU cases). Also i didnt check what game is doing when forced vram size is too big, i ha 16ram+2vram only to test and checked only 10gb max, because game process itself cost 8.5 gb, plus win7 around 1.5gb.

Thank you for the mouse fix. I wasn't aware that I needed to be in console. I must have missed that somewhere.

However, I took your advice and lowered my values. I replaced the ENBlocal with the generic 16GB one from nexus.
And now my textures are even worse.

[MEMORY]
ForceVideoMemorySize=true
VideoMemorySizeMb=10000

I would attach an image, but I can't seem to.
Its an appallingly ugly photo, let me tell you.

Update:
I changed the memorysizeMB to match what DX11 VRamSizeTest returned (a value of 56192)
The textures improved. But I wouldn't call them Ultra.

So I reduced back to around what I had before (28000)
The textures remained the same.

Leaving it at 28000, it shouldn't access my SSD for any textures, correct? Since I have 4GB VRAM and 32GB RAM.

Not knowing what Vanilla values are for VideoMemorySizeMB, I don't know why my textures are still suffering.
ENBoost was recommended to me as my textures weren't loading properly. I thought perhaps it was because the game was using my SSD for temp memory.

And after I watched Tapiok's EMB videos for Fallout 4, I was hooked.

Might you have any other suggestions that may assist with this?
If not, that's ok. Right now all of my textures are uniformly non-ultra, so I'm sure I'll get used to it. I still like the SSAO abilities of ENB.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I said, you must decrease size by 1gb and restart game each time to test. With my default 10000 users tried to tweak +-500 to find best setting in range of 8000-12000. There is no other way than do experiments.