Hoping to get some help with my FPS loss, SkyrimSE

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Hoping to get some help with my FPS loss, SkyrimSE

So first, Specs, I've read Boris doesn't like AMD and W10 but i'm taking a long shot here and hoping there's an answer other than "amd and w10 sucks",

AMD FX-8300 @ 4.2ghz
MSI 970A-G43 Plus mobo
Galax Geforce GTX1060 6gb EXOC
Kingston ValueRam 2x8gb @ ddr 1600mhz
Corsair VS550 PSU

So a bit more detail about my problem, (quick note i ran all tests with Vsync and FramerateLock off), I was in the process of installing SkyrimSE Re-Engaged ENB when i noticed my fps dropped into the floor, Uninstalled the ENB and fps went back to normal so i just installed the Base ENB files and noticed FPS was still tanking with ALL effects turned off including "Use Effect", Was running base skyrim at 90-120FPS on default Ultra settings, after adding base ENB files i was getting 30-60 FPS, although very rarily was it sitting at 60, mostly 50-55 and then as low as 30 in heavy areas,

I checked my CPU and GPU usages both while the ENB files were installed and when they were not, CPU usage was at around 50-60% with ENB off and 30-38% with ENB on, GPU usage was around 70-99% with ENB off and around 40-49% with ENB on, i tried installing updated Nvidia drivers but that didn't work, i reinstalled directx and that didn't work, tried changing a bunch of settings in the SkyrimSE ini's but that didn't work either, Basically nothing i have tried makes any sort of improvement, so this is basically my last resort.

EDIT: Forgot to include that i have tried both 0.320 and 0.325 and they both have the same issue.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Hoping to get some help with my FPS loss, SkyrimSE

No idea, this should not happen. If you look at the ground or to the sky and big fps drop still exist (useeffect=false for testing), its non explainable at all (except you running out of vram, because mod creates some textures itself). But if you look at horizon with many visible objects (in Riverwood for example) and issue starts to be visible so much, then its because of cpu, because dx11 have specific limitations for changing parameters of shaders which cant make as fast code execution as in dx9 (doubling work). But even in this case its abnormal. Anyway, i cant test because using laptop last half year and performance too low to notice such drops.

Yes i did notice that whenever i look at the ground or the sky, or areas that aren't that heavy that my FPS would go back to normal how ever my CPU/GPU usage would still remain the same with 30-38% usage on CPU and 40-49% usage on GPU, also if my assumption is correct the problem is most noticeable around areas with lots of NPC's, I.E cities, towns, stormcloak/imperial camps and wherever there are a lot of npcs.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Then its a problem of making mod for dx11, overhead for constant buffers processing, cpu dependency.

And i take it there's nothing i can do about that on my end except upgrading my cpu? lol

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Yes. Same as i cant do anything about it, except to reduce that cpu usage when useeffect=false, but its obvisouly not needed. You can try to set UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=true to get some fps back.

Well that sucks oh well, thanks for all the help :)