Skyrim crash on loading save with ENB

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Skyrim crash on loading save with ENB

Hello, I'm installing ENB for Skyrim by following the STEP guide for ENBoost. ENBoost. This uses the latest ENB version 319.

My problem is that Skyrim is constantly crashing when trying to load a freshly made save game. It also crashes when returning to the main menu from in-game. It is definitely ENB causing it - deleting d3d9.dll causes this to stop happening. I have the DX9 runtimes June 2010 installed. If anyone could suggest a solution based on my enblocal or possible missing Windows runtimes or whatever else, I would be grateful.

I did some further testing and found these crashes are caused by the d3d9.dll binary file from ENB v0.319. Using the binary from 0.292 also causes these crashes in the same way. However the old d3d9.dll file from 0.262 works fine. I tried 0.236 and this also worked fine. What is different about these two newer binaries that could cause this?

edit: I forgot that the attached ini has SpeedHackWithoutGraphics set to true and DeferredRendering set to false. With these values the game works, but ENB doesn't affect graphics. If I reverse both those values then the problems above occur. Also I'm on Windows 10 with an Nvidia GTX 980 Ti.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim crash on loading save with ENB

It was discussed many times, but i don't remember, there are several reasons and the main is always and forever - crapware or antivirus.

Hi, what is different about 0.319 and 0.292 that would cause them to have a problem but none of the older versions do?

I've already tried turning off my antivirus but there was no change. I'm only using the standard Windows Defender so nothing special. I doubt I have any malware as I do not go to any dangerous sites on the gaming computer.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

There is no difference, as i said, topic discussed many times and i compared code, gave it for testing and results are very random. It is not the mod itself. Search on the forum by version name in topics, in download section also (if i remember) somebody posted regarding difference compared to 0.292. After all, do you think mod can be a problem if it not work just for you, but totally fine for thousands others? Isn't it weird?

It does seem weird, which is why I asked about the difference between the binaries. There is something different between them if one is conflicting with my system and another is not.

The closest post I found to my issue was this one. However this person's game is working with 0.292 but mine is not, and if they found a solution they did not post it.

I'll try downgrading my video drivers to 2016 and see if anything changes, thanks.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You see, when i did around 20-25 tests here to the guy with same problem, i used tool to compare text files and complied mod with going back to old code. And at the end i came to the fact that even same version as first one, but with little bit different lines of harmless code do not work. Its definetly something about crapware, when certain pattern of compiled data or memory fail to have compatibility. Or some driver/software hack and it know about my mod and check it, but don't know current one. After all you can just try save file cleaning tool.

Okay thanks for the details. I only ask about differences because each binary renders light and shadows differently and some include features that others do not (i.e. godrays) and oddities that others do not (i.e. first person weapon transparency) and all of that is relevant to video driver issues.

I have a dual boot system, with Windows 10 and Windows 7 both installed to different partitions. Thus I'm able to run everything on my computer in either OS. I've just now started up the same Skyrim installation in Windows 7 and have the same problem with crashing.

Could you be more specific on what you mean by "crapware" ? I've run Skyrim on this computer many times before with little to no problems. I've reformmatted since I last played Skyrim, which is why I'm thinking that there is some driver / runtime / directx download that I am missing. I've already installed DX9 June 2010 redistributable, I've tried the latest drivers for my video card from December 2017, and I'm currently running older drivers from October 2016 which I am about to remove with DDU. The crash with 0.319 and 0.292 remains identical no matter what I'm running.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You simply may have crapware running because of Razer background services, Steam overlay enabled, GeForce Experience. There are so many scumbag tools these days, everything don't care about existance of wrappers.

I'm about at my wit's end trying to figure this out. I just started up in Diagnostic Mode, meaning everything but Windows essentials was disabled. The same problem occurred. This is with nothing but video drivers, usb drivers, and critical Windows functions running.

I have no Razer garbage on my computer and have not used them for years. I always use custom install for graphics drivers specifically to avoid installing Geforce Experience. Steam overlay is disabled...what else could cause this ?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Did you try ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=false? Is game loaded then? Did you try everything false under [FIX] category of enblocal.ini? Did you try without SKSE? Show screenshot of all processes (for all users) in task manager.