New install, no fps drops. Add ENBoost, fps drops.

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

New install, no fps drops. Add ENBoost, fps drops.

I just installed Skyrim fresh (with all DLC's + HD pack) and took it for a 'spin'. I COC'd into Riverwood, then sprinted to the Guardian Stones. FPS stayed at 60 the entire way. Installed SKSE + meh321's & Sheson's Crash Fix, and meh321's LipSyncFix, then repeated run. Solid 60. Then added ENBoost (v.0.314) and repeated run. FPS dropped as low as 6 when going over cell boundaries. I am using almost vanilla skyrim and skyrimprefs ini files, and I THINK I have my enblocal set correctly... So, what am I doing wrong? Or, is that just the way it is.

My PC's specs - i7 3930k, 64GB ddr3, nvidia gtx 1080 ti

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0cSZ ... ktFTm9Yak0

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: New install, no fps drops. Add ENBoost, fps drops.

DisableDriverMemoryManager=true. If not helps, then EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true (and do not use alt+tab or run in borderless mode).

ENBSeries wrote:DisableDriverMemoryManager=true. If not helps, then EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true (and do not use alt+tab or run in borderless mode).
Tried DisableDriverMemoryManager=true, no real change. Added EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true, only dropped down to 12 in worst area. Reset DisableDriverMemoryManager to false, no change from previous, so unsafememoryhacks is the 'best'. Should I test older versions? Or is this area just going to take a hit with ENBoost or using an ENB... (Pretty big hit...)

By the way, I am using Windows 7 Pro, and have no Steam or Nvidia overlays nor any other such stuff. My AV is told to leave all my skyrim stuff alone. This is a fresh install of Win 7, fresh install of Skyrim (and tools), and that is all that is on my wee Vertex 3 SSD.

Note that I also made some changes to my ini files, they are now based somewhat on Sthaagg's recommendations:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74 ... w%3D&pUp=1

My new files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0cSZ ... ktFTm9Yak0

I dropped back to .292, reset my enblocal to before any changes for .314 and thought that FRAPS had broken. It was stuck on 57.... Well, it did drop to 56 at the worst cell boundaries. Now I have to figure out why 292 is stuck on 57...

So, it seems that .314 has issues with cell boundaries, or at least needs different settings?

I found a new (to me) set of maps for cell borders. I am sure that you probably have better, but I never assume.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2251/?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

There is no difference of ENBoost code between 0.292 and 0.314, so if they work not the same way, something is in drivers changed as a hint. Did you try to run VRAM Size Test DX9? How much memory it reports?

ENBSeries wrote:There is no difference of ENBoost code between 0.292 and 0.314, so if they work not the same way, something is in drivers changed as a hint. Did you try to run VRAM Size Test DX9? How much memory it reports?
VRamSizeDX9.exe reports 43616. I dropped it back to 40960. (40x1024) I seem to remember that a ~2k margin was good.

The only change I made to go back to .292 was to copy / replace d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe.

I have done some tinkering around the edges in the .ini's, more for gameplay. Added vats, nullified arrow tilts, disabled backround active, etc.

My current (I just copied them over) ENBLocal, Skyrim and Skyrimprefs .ini files are in the link I sent previously. I have not changed Nvidia drivers, nor NvidiaInspector profiles.

Just to verify that I have not ef'ed up, I just now re-ran my test (riverwood to guardian stones) with .292. Solid 60, dropped to 59 -8 at cell borders. No stutters. Then I copied in the .314 d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe files, re-ran my test, dropped to as low as 8-9, very noticeable stutters.

I am in no rush to build this Skyrim image, I'd rather get a solid base build to work from. So ask anything, I'm willing to try it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sorry, as i said there is no code difference for 0.314 vs 0.292 for ENBoost part, so some driver hint is applied and you can't set old drivers for your new videocard. You can check statistics in the window of editor in the place where fps is low with 0.314, make screenshot and do the same with 0.292 and put it here. Make several shots, maybe not each frame values like TexturesCreatedCount are big.

ENBSeries wrote:Sorry, as i said there is no code difference for 0.314 vs 0.292 for ENBoost part, so some driver hint is applied and you can't set old drivers for your new videocard. You can check statistics in the window of editor in the place where fps is low with 0.314, make screenshot and do the same with 0.292 and put it here. Make several shots, maybe not each frame values like TexturesCreatedCount are big.
What editor? Do you mean the enb in-game tool? More specifics, please.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

if you don't have it, then activate mod by using "UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false" and press shift+enter key in game.

I have added some screenshots as requested. It is difficult to do a screencap while still running a mouse and keyboard, so I hope that these give you some info.

I looked into doing a fraps movie, but then the problem becomes the size. 5-7GB for that short movie. I am looking into an editor, but that will take me some time to learn. If I can get the areas cut out, I think maybe 500MB per area. I am working on that.

Meanwhile, look at the screen caps. Same link as before.