Skyrim drops to desktop after several minutes...

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Skyrim drops to desktop after several minutes...

Last session I went about 13 minutes (had several quick saves in there) before it crashed. Forgive me for asking noobie questions, but I haven't played Skyrim for quite a while. I am sure that I have some minor setting messed up somewhere.

Things that I have checked:

Using ENB 305 (and realvision), enblocal.ini has memory set at 38528 (per the VRAM setting tool)
Re-installed directx 9.0c
I am using the same skyrim and skyrimprefs ini files that I always do
SKSE ver. 1.7.3 (the latest SKSE)

checked memory logs, looks OK. Ditto SKSE logs.

What else do I need to do / check / add or delete?

I might add that this is on a new Windows 7 volume, created just for Skyrim. It ran like a turtle on Win 10 (aa MINUTE or MORE on loading screens...), but at least it was STABLE... I did a new install from my DVD and Steam, (all DLC) then copied over that with the install from Win 10. Yes, I know that I should have re-installed Skyrim fresh with all 180+ mods from scratch, BUT it DOES run.

For those that are curious, it was cancer - throat and tongue, both malignant, both harshly dealt with. No one is giving me any time-to-live at the moment, so I just basically don't give a shit.
I have been absent from gaming / modding for a while. For those that are curious, it was cancer - throat and tongue, both malignant, both harshly dealt with. No one is giving me any time-to-live at the moment, so I just basically don't give a shit.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim drops to desktop after several minutes...

Can you please post your enblocal.ini?

Any specifics on where and when the game crashes? Just doing random stuff? New game or old save? Might always be a mod that's causing trouble I guess.

And sincerely sorry to hear about your situation, there are no words to describe how it must feel. Stay strong and never give up.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Try to set size of vram in enblocal.ini to size of your real vram, minus around 1000 and check if problem still occurs. If it will not crash, then increase value more and more, but not greater than your vram+ram-4000 (in case if you have a lot ram only). Set ReservedMemorySizeMb=64, if it's 256 or higher. Make sure no crapware running, no antiviruses and better no internet browsers (they consume vram too).
Try to tweak [THREADS] category parameters (if i remember, ENBoost page on Nexus have description which values are the best found by players).

ENBSeries wrote:Try to set size of vram in enblocal.ini to size of your real vram, minus around 1000 and check if problem still occurs. If it will not crash, then increase value more and more, but not greater than your vram+ram-4000 (in case if you have a lot ram only). Set ReservedMemorySizeMb=64, if it's 256 or higher. Make sure no crapware running, no antiviruses and better no internet browsers (they consume vram too).
Try to tweak [THREADS] category parameters (if i remember, ENBoost page on Nexus have description which values are the best found by players).
Ok, I finally gave up. I was starting to get 'color stuttering' in load screens, which past experience has told me is vram based. I then found a slew of symlinks in my install, so I just junked the lot and am going to start over. However, could someone point me in the direction of a good enblocal.ini file to use? My GPU has 6GB vram, my ram is 64GB, and Boris' Vram sizing tool says something like 52xxx... (I am in Win 10 mode right now...) I have always used 256 for reservedmemorysizeMb...

Here is part of an enblocal file that is from aug 2014....

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=10240
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

Didn't want to write a book, just want to get my next install running as smoothly as previous installs ran.
I have been absent from gaming / modding for a while. For those that are curious, it was cancer - throat and tongue, both malignant, both harshly dealt with. No one is giving me any time-to-live at the moment, so I just basically don't give a shit.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false is better now because most users have SKSE Sheson patch enabled, which often is not compatible with ExpandSystemMemoryX64 parameter (this depends from software running, OS and luck). The problem with video memory size for win10 is that for old games like Skyrim only 4 gb video memory is available, so win7 actually was a good choice for Skyrim. You need to try to set VideoMemorySizeMb value experimentally, starting from 4000 and increasing it by steps like 6000, 8000, 12000. Anything above also possible, but i don't think it will be used even with heaviest mods.

ENBSeries wrote:ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false is better now because most users have SKSE Sheson patch enabled, which often is not compatible with ExpandSystemMemoryX64 parameter (this depends from software running, OS and luck). The problem with video memory size for win10 is that for old games like Skyrim only 4 gb video memory is available, so win7 actually was a good choice for Skyrim. You need to try to set VideoMemorySizeMb value experimentally, starting from 4000 and increasing it by steps like 6000, 8000, 12000. Anything above also possible, but i don't think it will be used even with heaviest mods.
So ExpandSystemMemory=false to avoid conflict with SKSE. Which I WILL be using. Gotcha.
As to VideoMemorySizeMb=, 10240 back when was considered the max size usable, for whatever reason. (Sorry, anesthetics play hell with the memory system of humans...) So I may start from there and walk backwards if necessary. Like you, I don't see much reason for walking it forwards as my mod load has never passed 200.

Edit: Am reading on a plugin? for skSE called 'crash fixes' apparently by sheson and meh321 Opinions?

Totally off-thread, what do you use for security? Besides Win 7 tools...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

These SKSE features for increasing stability works fine, you should use together with ENBoost functionality.

I don't use any security software, just run everything internet related in virtual machine with no saving it's state when turned off and use several hard drives to different purposes.