Request: Custom Skyrim VSync

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Request: Custom Skyrim VSync

Hello Boris and whoever is reading this, i'm making this thread to make a request if possible, as most of you know Skyrim VSync implementation is quite bad because of being double-buffered instead of triple, so i was wondering if there's anyway to remove every visual tweak from the ENB files so we could only use it's VSync. I've been using FO4 (and recently Skyrim) ENB so i could use it's VSync, i've got to say it's an amazing implementation, i haven't dropped even 1 frame and there's also way less stutter, so it's pretty amazing, way smoother than the games VSync, only problem being that somehow i get a performance loss of about 10fps, files i've copied into the SSE folder are the 2 ".dll" files, ENBlocal and ENBseries.

I hope there's any way to strip Skyrim's ENB from all the visual tweaks that cause a performance loss so we can get a standalone VSync tool (it doesn't sound so hard to do, but again i know pretty much nothing about this stuff), or at least tweak the .ini files somehow to remove the stuff that is hindering performance.

*some* Nvidia users are able to force Triple-buffered VSync via their Control Panel or Nvidia inspector, but so far this is the ONLY fix for AMD users that gets rid of stutter, frame-drops and screen tearing, so this would be a huge help for all of us.

That's all i had to say, thanks a lot for taking your time to read this :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Request: Custom Skyrim VSync

Hmm, i can do this, but i'm lazy ass about things which do not improve graphics and something minor. I'll spend several hours to remove code and not sure that result will be the same what you see, may be vsync do not differ and just extra code of the mod causes positive effect by degrading performance. You better test in areas where performance with and without mod is the same.

ENBSeries wrote:Hmm, i can do this, but i'm lazy ass about things which do not improve graphics and something minor. I'll spend several hours to remove code and not sure that result will be the same what you see, may be vsync do not differ and just extra code of the mod causes positive effect by degrading performance. You better test in areas where performance with and without mod is the same.
Thanks for answering !

Well to be fair it's not that minor, every AMD user without a Freesync monitor has these problems, i've posted this "fix" (thanks to you, of course) on reddit and a lot of people have been using it since launch including me (150+ easily), it's a HUGE fix, dropping only 5 frames will drop you down to 30fps which is a pretty noticeable difference, your enb files somehow just get rid of all the problems i was getting on SSE. On launch day, AMD's subreddit was full of requests for help for fixing this issue.

I reinstalled SSE just to be sure i didn't have any extra files or anything and i tested 5 different saves, on most saves i was getting a 10-15fps loss, except on a save where i was standing next to the river that leads to Riverwood, i'm not exactly sure why but i was getting a 30fps loss in that area.

At the end of the day you're the one who makes the final call so i can't force you to do anything :P But please, take it into consideration, a lot of users are having trouble with the games VSync and the stutter/frame drops it causes, it would be a game-changer to me and a lot of users, if it wasn't for that performance loss it'd be a god-send fix which would make the game so much more enjoyable.

Also, is there anything i can change on the .ini file that will help with frame-rates? I thought if i had the ENB files but no preset installed there would be no performance loss? Or is there something those 4 files are adding to the game and i'm not aware of?

Once again, thanks for taking your time to read and answer, didn't except an answer so quickly.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You can delete all .fx files to get higher performance, but in general you can't do anything. But if you disable mod by UseEffect=false (shift+f12), vsync feature works anyway, if enabled of course. If it's not work, then definetly something else fixing issue.

Hey man i'm back with another question (hope i'm not bothering you with so many questions hah), so i've found that using only the ".dll" files and ENBLocal/ENBSeries does not actually cause a performance loss, but there is some kind of frame-limiter going on?

I mean there are areas where with unlocked frame i'd get like 80fps and with your ENB files i'm getting 55fps, thing is with no ENB files i'm getting 80fps at 100% GPU usage, but if i use your ENB files i get 55fps at like 60% GPU usage.

EVERY single place where frame rate drops (with the ENB files) the GPU is never even close to 100% (and neither is the CPU, RAM, VRam, etc), so any idea what this could be? There's definetely something wrong in there, i'm very close to finding a definitive fix but i need a lil help if you don't mind. I checked twice and the frame-limiter in ENBLocal is off, also there are no programs running in the background.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

It's known issue and unfixable. Negative side effect of making this kind of modification, because it require to make backup copies of constant buffers data on each change of it. In dx9 that was very simple to access, but not in dx10/11. Performance loss is bigger when many objects are drawed on the screen.

ENBSeries wrote:It's known issue and unfixable. Negative side effect of making this kind of modification, because it require to make backup copies of constant buffers data on each change of it. In dx9 that was very simple to access, but not in dx10/11. Performance loss is bigger when many objects are drawed on the screen.
Great, then i'll reduce draw distance, thanks a lot once again man, FO4 Shadow Boost definetely helped the ENBs VSync a lot also.