Skyrim ver .305 ENB/ENBoost Stuttering (Report)

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Skyrim ver .305 ENB/ENBoost Stuttering (Report)

Hey Boris,

I recently went back to playing Skyrim and installed the latest updates for all my mods, only to discover some pretty extreme stuttering when a new "grid" or cell is loaded by the game. It will stutter 3-4 times ranging in length from 0.5 sec initially, then 2-3 more .1-.2 sec stutters. When I say stutter I mean hefty stuttering, it was pretty brutal walking around outside. There was no difference in the stuttering between uGrids 5 or 7 (I use 7 mostly) but with 7 it happens more often (which makes sense). With all my hi res mods on I average 120fps in game, some cities dip to 100fps, and overall it runs totally smoothly aside from when the game loads new cells into view.

First, specs:
- Intel i5 4670k
- ASUS GTX 980 4gb w/ Driver ver 364.51
- 24gb ram
- Win 10 Pro x64

I tested various combinations of nearly every setting in the enblocal.ini file to find the culprit, but nothing I did would help.

So yesterday I decided to figure out what was causing the problem, first by de-activating all mods, then removed SKSE, followed by ENBoost. Only once i had gotten back to vanilla did the stuttering stop, so at this point I checked the forums here to find others reporting issues with the .305 + Nvidia divers.

I installed ver .292 as suggested and everything is working perfectly, no stuttering anywhere! I don't know whether it is the .305 version or Nvidia's drivers that are conflicting (I can test some older drivers if it would be helpful to you), but the combination doesn't play well together for some reason.

Anyways, I wanted to write this all out in case it helps anyone else having the same issue. I thought for the longest time it was too many scripts or some other mod causing it and it was frustrating to try and figure out (I should have reverted to vanilla earlier... my fault!).

Let me know if testing the drivers would help at all, and thanks for all your hard work!
Last edited by DCdev on 17 Mar 2016, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Skyrim ver ,305 ENB/ENBoost Stuttering (Report)

Just popping in to echo the OP.

With 305, it didn't matter what settings I used; even if UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics was set to true, I would get a terrible stutter. Using the 292 .dll fixed it right up.

My graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 970. If it's a driver issue, does anyone know what driver I should roll back to?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

There is no solution, because there are no changes made to ENBoost in any version of the mod above 0.292, everything is mentioned in changes log. When testers reported crashes when using 0.303 and 0.305 versions compared to 0.292, i firstly ignored, but then gave them many builds for testing and the result was very expectable - random crashes even with few lines of totally harmless code added. What is the common on the systems with issues i don't know and nobody was interested to find out, so everything is stuck in nowhere.

ENBSeries wrote:There is no solution, because there are no changes made to ENBoost in any version of the mod above 0.292, everything is mentioned in changes log. When testers reported crashes when using 0.303 and 0.305 versions compared to 0.292, i firstly ignored, but then gave them many builds for testing and the result was very expectable - random crashes even with few lines of totally harmless code added. What is the common on the systems with issues i don't know and nobody was interested to find out, so everything is stuck in nowhere.
Yeah looking over the change log the changes seem pretty minor, none of them stand out as potential suspects.

From reading other posts the common theme seems to be Windows 10 and a Nvidia GPU, but the issues aren't always stuttering, some others mention FPS dips... So who knows really.

I tested out a couple of previous driver versions going back to Dec 10th 2015, all of them had the same issue in un-modded vanilla Skyrim + ENBoost .305 so far.

I'm willing to do any testing, gathering logs, or anything else if that would be helpful to you. I will continue testing older drivers today and let you know if I find one that works.

Thanks!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim ver .305 ENB/ENBoost Stuttering (Report)

Better don't do any tests, you will waste time for sure. Even if it drivers, reinstalling them do not guarantee that any files or configs/registry is not set to something bad already. Steam is another pain in the butt and you can't use older versions. Don't think that anybody can find the culprit except me, but i don't have any issues of course.

DCdev wrote:
ENBSeries wrote:There is no solution, because there are no changes made to ENBoost in any version of the mod above 0.292, everything is mentioned in changes log. When testers reported crashes when using 0.303 and 0.305 versions compared to 0.292, i firstly ignored, but then gave them many builds for testing and the result was very expectable - random crashes even with few lines of totally harmless code added. What is the common on the systems with issues i don't know and nobody was interested to find out, so everything is stuck in nowhere.
Yeah looking over the change log the changes seem pretty minor, none of them stand out as potential suspects.

From reading other posts the common theme seems to be Windows 10 and a Nvidia GPU, but the issues aren't always stuttering, some others mention FPS dips... So who knows really.

I tested out a couple of previous driver versions going back to Dec 10th 2015, all of them had the same issue in un-modded vanilla Skyrim + ENBoost .305 so far.

I'm willing to do any testing, gathering logs, or anything else if that would be helpful to you. I will continue testing older drivers today and let you know if I find one that works.

Thanks!
Hello
I had some performance problems and they were gone when rolling back to 355 nvidia drivers. I do not know if that is or not the real culprit, but you might want to give it a try
Or may be you just got too excited with that monster machine and you added zilion 8k textures :P

Just to add another data point... I have the same problem here with the same kind of setup - GTX970 on a new machine, current 368 drivers, Windows 10. ENB's using 0.305 stutter noticeably, 0.279 does not. I've tested (what seems like) a million different memory settings and driver tweaks to no avail. Nothing gets rids of the stutter in 0.305. I haven't tested other ENB versions or driver versions - my current ENB is fine using 0.279, so I'm not inclined to screw around with it any further. But if I can be of any help testing anything, let me know.

Excuse my English, I'm German. The translation is made with 'ImTranslator'.

I also have this problem with the version 0. 305. Drivers rollbacks and many other settings have brought nothing. Even a complete reinstallation of Skyrim (in meheren steps) has not changed. Only with the version 2. 79 it ran smoothly again. The 2. 92 I still need to test. My guess is that Windows 10 causes this problem.

My PC:
- Win 10 Pro x64
- Intel i7-4790K
- Gigabyte GiBy6GB D5 X GTX980 Ti Xtreme
- 16GB RAM
- Sound Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Lg, SirPercy.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

There are no changes made between 0.279 and 0.305 which can degrade performance. Problem is not in the mod.

I use the 'Phinix Natural ENB, ver. 2. 00. 27' and the ENBSeries 0. 305 Skyrim ran defenitiv not smooth.
The following points was in the 'enblocal ini.' Set:

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=1
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false (otherwise Skyrim not started!)
VideoMemorySizeMb=6016

I had tried with a variety of settings to get the game quietly. Nothing has helped. It was only when I use the 'd3d9. Dll of ver. 0. 305' with the 'd3d9. Dll the ver. 2. 79' had exchanged, Skyrim ran almost smoothly. I play Skyrim since 2011 and had approximately 2507 hours on the Steam- account.

setting "ver. 0.279", "ver. 0.292":

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=0
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

[ENGINE]
EnableVSync=false

Today I then '0. 305' swapped 'Version 0. 292' with without changing the settings. It runs without bucking. I do not understand that. You have to explain to me ?! :roll:
Lg, SirPercy.