Skyrim - Setting caused massive FPS drop - HELP

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Skyrim - Setting caused massive FPS drop - HELP

Hi Guys,

I am a new modder with all the skills of someone who can read a wiki page.

I have installed the ENB via Nexus following the install order and added a couple of NPC mods (graphics settings in app and driver as per instructions)

PC is i5 4670 3.4GHz, 16GB, GTX960 4GB

everything was working well, I went from a locked 1080p 60FPS with vanilla at Ultra to about 30-50fps with most of the pretty stuff. DOF, SSAO etc

I was not happy with the darkness, it was really very dark inside, at night and in dungeons and then steam streaming crushes that black to nothingness.

I was playing with settings and effects getting really close to being happy and then all of a sudden I was at 12fps - i cant find what setting has done this.

If you use the "esc" menu the frames jump straight up to 60 but if you "tab" the frames stay about the same. (dont know if this helps?)

I have run other games to check that my video card hasn't had a heart attack

I even tried un-installing all the mods and re-installing them but the problem is still there.

Can you either help me with what setting I may have messed up or point me to somewhere that can reset the whole ENB for me and I can start over.

TIA - really thankful for any help i can get at this stage. next step is complete wipe of everything if I cant figure this out!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim - Setting caused massive FPS drop - HELP

May be you have wrong setting in enblocal.ini and fps limiter is enabled (it can be enabled by hotkey and you saved that state) or waiting for busy renderer. Wrong memory manager setting may cause that with too many texture mods installed, but don't think it's your case. And effects of the mod which have highest performance impact are ambient occlusion and reflection, they are dependent from screen resolution and SizeScale parameter must be manually set to lower if you switch f.e. from 1080 to 4k, otherwise speed will be 4 times lower.

ok, i am "glad" i am not the only one having this exact problem.
I have been doing test all day, fps drop even indoors and staying still doing nothing (literally just watching the inn keeper do his stuff)
Tried disabling mods, changing ENB prests, etc and after hours and using Skyrim monitor i see that VRAM gets "choked"

http://i64.tinypic.com/24eul3q.jpg

I pretty much have all the same mods and resourse that i used in my last play through (like 6 months ago or so) and i came to realize that, may be, this latest ENB wrapper client update is not entirely compatible with the ENB prests i use.
I wont be able to try rolling back to an earlier version of enbhost.exe / dll untill tomorrow morning, but if you read this and want to try pls be my guest (and share the experience!)

Just in case, be sure to check my post in the Skyrim Support forum
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/ ... sive-drop/

ENBSeries wrote:May be you have wrong setting in enblocal.ini and fps limiter is enabled (it can be enabled by hotkey and you saved that state) or waiting for busy renderer. Wrong memory manager setting may cause that with too many texture mods installed,
Could you please elaborate on this? I have always been both puzzled and amazed by the immense amount of different opinons regarding what settings are suppossed to be used on the enbseries.ini,

Currently i have

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=4032

EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

You cannot imagen how many people told me to change the parameters in bold (most suggested values were 1024 and 8192... but nobody could give a valid reason of why those values!)

My Spec
Intel I7 3.4ghs
16gb RAM
Nvidia 760 GTX 2gb

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I can't open screenshot http://i64.tinypic.com/24eul3q.jpg in any browser.

Well, if vram used statistics was shown as "choked", then it's a game itself (skyrim.ini, skyrimprefs.ini manual changes?) or drivers. You know, game controls amount of resources created in video memory (ignoring the size of it), ENBoost just removing copy of resources from ram (as vram have dublicated data in ram) and on issues with not enough video memory starts to unload data from it partially to create free space for new (new means also visible on screen). If your performance issues are accumulated, then it sounds like memory leak and why it happen, don't ask me as i gave the answers already. You may set ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=false to disable the memory manager of ENBoost (but game may not work at all if you have lot of mods installed) and try to to test again. Or set VideoMemorySizeMb very low, let say 1000, performance will be always relatively low, but simpler to see if vram is getting to the limit, then it's driver bug or some other software messing around (other mod may too, but i don't know any).

PS: EnableCompression=false is better for your system by performance.

Thx for the reply.
(using the [+img] [+/img] tags solved it!)

Will try the suggested setting.

I have read somewhere else that Nvidia Drivers above 360 version are conflictive with ENB, so it might be that and not a client / preset problem

Will try to make different tests and post them

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Any progress?

Well, first i changed this:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=2048
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

Monitor showed that my VRAM was not choking so much when playing. But i still suffered from performance drop and some random CTDs

Then i rolled back to ENB 292 and Nvidia Drivers 355
The performance loss was completely solved, i made the same test (stood still in Sleeping giant inn) and the fps stayed the same (steady), it was good old Skyrim back again.
I still have (but fewer) some random CTDs, and they appear to be more or less frequent depending on the ENB preset i use. But since CTDs are so damn hard to determine what causes them i can't relate them to ENB entirely if any at all. Was looking forward to try to roll back to ENB 279 or 272 (most stable skyrim i remember was when using those versions) but they are not available for downloading anymore.

Would you like me to do some particular tests?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No, i don't need any tests, thanks. If you have better stability and performance with 0.292 instead of newest versions, then it's unknown scenario reported by several users, it have no reason from ENB side and not yet found what software or drivers causing that.

ENBSeries wrote:No, i don't need any tests, thanks. If you have better stability and performance with 0.292 instead of newest versions, then it's unknown scenario reported by several users, it have no reason from ENB side and not yet found what software or drivers causing that.

May be i could test 0.303 / 0.305 with 355 Nvidia drivers...
Will tell you later how it goes...

Edit: i just played 1 hour and 15 minutes with 0.303. FPS were slightly lower (10%-20%,.. perhaps) but then again it might be all in my head. Anyway, did not have any CTDs and with the exception of some heavy tree / grass areas i had an average of 30 fps exteriors and 44-50fps interior

So.. got to be the drivers :?: