Confused about a few settings

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Confused about a few settings

I have created at total texture upgrade mod (in closed Beta now), with a lot of re-textures as well. I want to customize my shaders, as I already modified the color palette (minor) and do not want to multiply it. I also need to watch the system resource use, and know that SSAO is a big hit to performance (as well as it currently makes night time water translucent). Can we add our own SSAO calculations to a FX file to see if they are less intensive, or is that part of the base code? I am not trying to imply that Borris is doing it improperly, I just came across some code and I have found that testing everything is the only way to know what works.

In the (current) 102 Tatsudoshi release we have two lines that are explained in the documentation, yet I still am having problems understanding if they are used/useful. The first is
[PROXY]
ProxyLibrary = another.dll

Now I understand that this is for when you are going to use another shader set after ENB is run, such as SkyBoost. But in comparing Vanilla 102 to "Gionight's Skyrim ENB. with a SkyBoost" his line reads
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll. This is the same as Vanilla 102, so what I am wondering is if dinput8.dll which is part of SkyBoost, does not have to be identified to ENB on the ProxyLibrary line to run properly. If not, then does that mean as long as secondary filters are calling extra DLLs that we could theoretically have unlimited numbers of these? I am planning on using SkyBoost with my mod, and want to make sure it is running as effectively as it can.

The other point of confusion is with:
[GLOBAL]
AdditionalConfigFile=userconfig.ini

The documentation says that this will override the original ENB settings, but everyone seems to be just editing the originals directly. Is there something wrong with using this (slightly slower execution), or is everyone just missing this line? I would prefer to use the userconfig.ini so that players could edit my settings without messing up the originals.

EDIT - I am just starting to edit 102 now (having already worked successfully with 100) and came across AntiBSOD. It talks about VRAM use but does not mention what setting to True actually does. Does anyone know?

Thanks for any replies!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Confused about a few settings

It talks about VRAM use but does not mention what setting to True actually does
ReduceMemoryUsageBETA=true. But you don't need that, it effective only for some videocards at cost of performance, i wanted to make no fps hit version for huge texture mods, but developers don't want to fix their critical bugs in patches, so i don't want too.
Is there something wrong with using this (slightly slower execution), or is everyone just missing this line? I would prefer to use the userconfig.ini so that players could edit my settings without messing up the originals.
everyone just missing this line

ProxyLibrary - it's not what you understand. dinput is not proxy library and must not set here as proxy, it's loading separately by game, same way as d3d9.dll. Proxy is any another d3d9.dll mod renamed, if you will use not native d3d9.dll, it will work only if that library init data when loaded in to process, for example to inject/patch some code. D3d9 libs are not filters, primary or secondary. Use this feature as others or not use at all, Skyboost don't need any changes in enbseries.ini.

SSAO not making water transparent, it's mixing shader of ssao and final drawed scene, you can't do anything with this, it's hard to fix even for me, because a lot of rewriting in shaders (automatic recompiler not works for this case, at least can't find dependency in assember code between shaders).
You can't add your own ssao with any version currently available. But performance hit is not because of just ssao, also there are no really fast ssao code samples, simplified shit only make corners darker and nobody like it. Implementing new ssao for experimental purposes, found one article about it, it's faster at same quality, but more complex in general (not one shader). I'm working on ssao from 2007 and did first time in the world ssil, so don't expect that yours will be better and faster.

4Aces

Re: Confused about a few settings

Thanks for the answers and ENB!