Windows 10 update DX9 /ENB problems

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Windows 10 update DX9 /ENB problems

Hi,

I updated my windows 10 and tried to run the game (Skyrim LE)

I meet several problems.

1) massive flickering on the title screen, on loading screens and in the game (it's constant, everywhere..)
2)FPS are now strangely limited to 29.9. (my ENB is locked at 60fps as usual fpslimit=60)
3) Effects in game are not good (too dark, and lightings don't emit light)

Well, lot's of problems for a simple dx9 update...a little bit disappointed for a first try.
The game is clearly unplayable. I tried in 1920*1080 and in 3840*2160...same result.

Strangely, i tried with my modded fallout new vegas (runs on dx9) and this game runs perfectly. (no flickering, good effects and no fps limits)

Does anybody have any clues?
Does anybody meet the same problem? only on Oldrim?
My Skyrim was running absolutely perfectly since several months.

EDIT. It works! i didn't change anything, but the game suddenly works as before....a mystery...!

Thank you
Last edited by Marmotte on 18 Oct 2017, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Windows 10 update DX9 /ENB problems

It has been working well for me. Do you use MO? I heard there were some issues with that and the windows update. I haven't heard any complaints from people I know but will report back if I learn anything.

Hi John.

I'm using NMM and mainly manual installation.
I don't use MO

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Well I see it corrected itself. Always hate mysteries like that but always nice when things start working again at least.

Marmotte wrote:Hi,

I updated my windows 10 and tried to run the game (Skyrim LE)

I meet several problems.

1) massive flickering on the title screen, on loading screens and in the game (it's constant, everywhere..)
2)FPS are now strangely limited to 29.9. (my ENB is locked at 60fps as usual fpslimit=60)
3) Effects in game are not good (too dark, and lightings don't emit light)

Well, lot's of problems for a simple dx9 update...a little bit disappointed for a first try.
The game is clearly unplayable. I tried in 1920*1080 and in 3840*2160...same result.

Strangely, i tried with my modded fallout new vegas (runs on dx9) and this game runs perfectly. (no flickering, good effects and no fps limits)

Does anybody have any clues?
Does anybody meet the same problem? only on Oldrim?
My Skyrim was running absolutely perfectly since several months.

EDIT. It works! i didn't change anything, but the game suddenly works as before....a mystery...!

Thank you
I’m commenting on this thread almost a month after the OP, but I’m having the exact same issues listed above. I’ve installed the Fall Update as it was rolled out to me today. I’ve made no changes to my Nvidia settings or my Skyrim settings (I.e. my enblocal.ini is at the dx9 settings for Windows 10 prior to the update). Before the update I was getting 50-60 FPS pretty much everywhere running at 1440p with zero stuttering. Now, when I load Skyrim, the game takes longer to load (using mod organizer by the way) and though the FPS counter starts at around 60fps, it gradually decreases whilst standing in the same spot until it gets to 30FPS. It then clamps at 29.9FPS and doesn’t change. There is significant stuttering too. Occasionally, if I use the map to fast travel to a different region, the FPS shoots back up to 60, but within a few seconds it clamps to 29.9FPS again. Extremely odd behaviour. My Nvidia profile is set to gsync off and a fixed frame rate of 58 (based on the latest suggestions for Skyrim LE stability).

If I run my modded New Vegas, which is also set up exactly as it was before the Fall update, the game runs like butter. No immediate issues with New Vegas.

I have yet to play around with my settings, but will do later on. Has anyone else experienced the same issues?

Interesting. Today I decided to test Skyrim on a secondary machine I have with Windows 10 (not exactly a choice, to install Windows 7 on a Ryzen CPU is problematic), and I had the exact same problems that you

- Massive flicker: check;
- FPS limited to 29.9: check;
- Somewhat borked colors: check;

And I added very weird crashes to the entire system (windows 10 stops working);

I find out that first, the Windows 10 support to dx9 games is a piece of shit. That said, I solved the flickering problem launching on windowed bordeless mode (enblocal.ini):

Code: Select all

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true
BUT, the performance is very poor

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Did you install DirectX 9 runtime libraries? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109