TES Skyrim SE 0.445

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: TES Skyrim SE 0.445

It's a matter of 20 seconds to swap bloom shader to measure performance instead of chitchat here.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Basically - yes, but my game is not operational right now, I'm reinstalling and reorganizing stuff for the last few days, ditching some mods and combining others. All because of the same reason - to squeese few more fps out of the game. Saves are not working for now - probably uninstalled some wrong mods...
I just wanted to know about the new shaders, so I'll have all the knowledge before putting the game back together. It's my way (OCD) of doing things. ;)

Anubis wrote:Yeah, well, I have fps globally limited to 40fps (I like cool and quiet system) and in most areas in Skyrim I get this 40 fps. (could probably even get more if not the limiting) But there are some areas and some interiors with many light sources, that drag my fps down. that's why I'm worried about any new features that have the potential to worsen the situation.

I'm waiting for the next gen graphics card to play Skyrim without the need to think about these things. I have to say - Skyrim in 4K and a lots of high quality graphical mods + ENB looks unbelievable good.
Well, unfortunately I dont think the new graphics cards are going to let you play a heavily modded Skyrim SE with ENB at 4K/60 fps... I mean the game is sooo CPU-heavy and I actually had to OC my i9900k to 5Ghz be able to get a stable 60 fps at 1080p, the 2080Ti didnt help one bit since the results were all connected to the CPU-performance (even though Im not running that many scripted mods at all)... But who knows, maybe a 3090 and an OC 10900 will do the deal, haha...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

My CPU isage is far from the maximum when playing Skyrim (between 30-50%, mostly about 36%), so there is hope. (It's i7 7700K & 4,5Ghz)
Graphics card usage is near maximum. (98-99%)
So - looking at these numbers - the bottleneck is definitly the graphics card. (and 2080ti is not much faster than 1080ti, except for the RTX part that's not of any use in Skyrim)

Replacing my previour graphics card (Radeon R9 295x2 dual GPU) with 1080ti gave me an enormous jump in fps, basically doubling it

(I have Aida64 running on a separate LCD all the time, that's how I can see all the live data about system resources usage and other things)

By the way - I got my game working again this morning and for information - the new enbbloom.fx does not seem to cut any fps. (at least on my configuration)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Not that my old setup has any meaning, but I think it depends on how it is modded.

My skyrim is heavy on graphic mods -> Gpu Bottleneck

Script heavy skyrim -> Could lead to a CPU Bottleneck

@ElDuderino: If your 9900k is at the limit, I would check if some script heavy mods create a problem with each other. And before that check if your system is alright.
Running this game on a i5 2400, vanilla skyrim runs on a dual core or something.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I'd like to add that it wouldn't hurt to clean savegames every now and then. I use Fallrimtools and every time I find and clean many obsolete script instances (leftovers from mods that are uninstalled.) The thing is, that even when you uninstall a mod, some stuff frome it remains into savegame and this could be bad for performance and even cause crashes.

@Pfuscher: Yeah, I thought about that and it makes sense... However, since I don't run that many scripted mods its kind of baffling to see that I had to OC my 9900K in order to sustain a stable 60 fps. Its a minor isse though since I only experience a few stutters in Riverwood (at the bridge) and Whiterun (the stairs up to Dragonsreach). Every other place (all major cities, indoor and outdoorlocations etc) runs at a silkysmooth 60 fps. And thats playing with 777 (!) mods, a hellalot of 4k-textures, Dyndolod Ultratrees etc etc.

So I guess Riverwood and Whiterun gives me a few stutters primarily due to JKs + Dawn + T' of Skyrim together with different HQ-trees- clutters, meshes and textures. Although SSE Engine, Fixes and the relatively new SSE Fps Stabilizer helps a lot (gave me around 4-5 fps-boost). But yeah, before I OC'ed the CPU I experienced almost 11-12 frp-drops at these locations, nowadays its barely noticable (dropping max 2-3 frames). So its all good. :-)

Got a few screenshots too if you're interested: https://imgur.com/a/xk1S3ug
And some Dyndolod-ultratrees: https://imgur.com/a/7K9q8J5

@anubis: Indeed, I check and clean my savefiles all the time. Oh, one more thing, I have never seen a game that uses so much VRAM! I have 11GB on my 2080Ti and SSE uses all of it in the major cities, which is quite insane (even though its because the heavy texture-mods). Just to compare: I run Witcher 3 at 4K with Halk Hogans HD-textures and the game almost never uses more than 6GB Vram. Even RDR2 doesnt use as much as a heavily modded Skyrim SE, its crazy...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Yeah, my Skyrim also uses 10-11 GB of graphics card memory. (Maybe because of Dyndolod ?)

One strange thing I've noticed with the latest ENB versions - my RAM gets hot, especially when ENB settings are opened ingame and I'm adjusting stuff. One time my computer had BSOD even. But most of the time when I play Skyrim with ENB (just playing, not adjusting), my RAM temp. is around 55° Celsius. (room temp about 21° C)
I'm not sure if it's because of the ENB, but this only happens with Skyrim + ENB, not with any other game and not with Skyrim without ENB. It did not happen with earlier versions, but maybe it's because later versions have added more stuff and my system can't handle it anymore.

I have 32G RAM, so it's not that it reaches the limit or something.

@anubis: Could be Dyndolod, but also a lot of meshes, clutter and 4k texturemods...

Hm, That sounds like your CPU is getting overheated...? I got a fair share of BSODs when I first started overclocking the i9900k and tried out different stresstests (Cinebench, Prime etc). First it got way too hot (almost 100 degrees) = BSOD so I lowered the voltage (too low) = BSOD and so on... after two days of testing i finally found the sweetspot at 5 Ghz and 1.285V and everything has worked fine since then. I get a maximum of 75-80 degrees in Skyrim but mostly it stays around 55-60 degrees, which is perfectly fine for an OC i9900k.

On the other hand: the GPU-temp is actually fairly low: it stays around 50-60 even though the 2080Ti is OCed too... Thats why I think Skyrim is such a CPU-hungry game... just to compare: I booted up Shadow of Mordor with Hd-textures and 4K yesterday and the GPU-temp immediately got as high as 80-85 degrees and stayed there for the whole game = really made the GPU work its ass off! But the CPU-temp never got over 50 degrees, so that was quite the opposite in comparison to Skyrim...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Nope - my CPU is between 52-58 degrees When playing Skyrim (as mentioned earlier - below middle CPU usage)
But my graphics card gets to 75-76 degrees, which is the maximum it can get. (it's by design) The card is Zotac Amp Extreme factory OC 1080ti (faster than reference 2080ti, except RTX part)

So yes - it seems like a lot depends of how the Skyrim is modded. (And high screen resolution is also responsible for high GPU usage)

Btw. - what is your RAM temp during playing Skyrim and adjusting ENB ingame ? (with latest version)