TES Skyrim SE 0.417

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: TES Skyrim SE 0.417

It seems that, with the latest update, the RWT has been finally fixed. It used to be full of water seams and I thought that I'm in deep crap with no good options.
But now, with updated RWT, the caustics effect looks really nice.

Looking for a little help here. What driver settings or in game settings to I need to make sure are disabled in order for the under water effect to work. It was working before and looked great but now i must have changed something I shouldn't have

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Not sure what effects you mean but I'm guessing this in SkyrimPrefs.ini:

Code: Select all

[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
Setting this to 0 will make underwater perfectly clear.

That was exactly it. Thank you.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Boris, is it possible to add brightness slider for distant LOD ? (distant level of details - trees, landscapes and water, that are basically low res textures that are rendered outside the cell that player is standing in)

Distant trees and landscapes often appear with different brightness than the rest of the scene. The same thing with distant water. (Latest addition - the water brightness works very well in close to the player, but has no effect on the distant waterfalls and small rivers in distance. Then I realized- it's because they are part of the LOD.

Changing the fog parameters helps to hide the LOD a bit, but the balance between LOD objects is still off. (sometimes too bright distant trees for example) And adding too much fog makes everything look too foggy.
Different brightness settings for LOD trees, LOD landscape and LOD water would give the opportunity to ditch all the different mods that try to overcome such things.

And since LODs have low textures, there should be no performance hit.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Things not work the way you imagine them, for lods and for water both. Waterfalls, if that what i think you meant, are crossed with other objects, i can't apply scaling to them, because they are not water, but other generic shader.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

But what about treelod and terrainlod ? They both have separate textures applied. Different from water.

With different tree mods, for example, tree lods come with the mod or have to be created using DYNDOLOD or something similar.
Either ways, there are real textures that are applied as trees in distance. Isn't it possible to detect them ? And then apply the brigtness parameter as an overlay to the whole texture ?

Same thing with distant land. (the bare land where grass should be, not rocks or mountains or buildings)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No way, they have same parameters as other objects and dont need any brightness. Trees at least buggy cause of their geometry shape, but to ask terrain to be tweaked is absurd. I will not do this.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ok, that's understandable. And for terrain there are mods that are at least easy to install. But trees are the most problematic - can't just install darker LOD on them - there is a high probability it won't work. Resulting in a vertically cut LOD trees and other crap. Only way is to use some LOD generator, but this overcomplicates things and often does not give the desired result. I have done it numerous times and sometimes this method works and sometimes it doesn't. But the most annoying thing is that all this meddling must be done every time after installing, uninstalling or changing tree mods. Easier to just have one tree LOD and not to touch it if possible.

In real life distant trees are dark, but in Skyrim they seem to be too bright most of the times. Sometimes it looks like the light glows through them (it really doesn't) - that's probably because LOD trees don't have shadows.

You say the trees are the least buggy thing to do - is there at least any hope ?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

On the contrary, i said trees are worst. They have same problems as grass which do not receive point lighting comparing to other grass with normal maps. So, wrong normals, lack of details and the result is never right, because they are just flat planes. This is unfixable, any attempts to increase or decrease intensities will fail depending from weather, time of the day (as factor of sun angle to tree planes).