Mass Effect 2 ENBoost 0.411

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: Mass Effect 2 ENBoost 0.411

Hello! Sorry for bumping the thread, I thought I'd ask if any progress was made. I also wanted to reach out to you to offer some help from a developer who is quite skilled at everything related to low level graphics. He fixed the long-standing AMD bug: https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/ ... ss-effect/

I believe he could take over development of ENBoost for the ME series if he had access to the code or at least a technical documentation that explains in detail how ENBoost works. I'd be very thankful if you could provide either.

Here's what they had to say about ENBoost:
[2:26 PM] Silent: I thought about it but as of now I have no idea what is ENBoost doing under the hood with those resources
[2:27 PM] Silent: The information that it "stores them in a secondary process" is not really sufficient, as it has to have some streaming logic and it might be really complicated
[2:28 PM] Silent: is ENBoost documented on a technical level anywhere?
[2:29 PM] CreeperLava: Sadly no. Boris said he'd publish the source code at some point, but I've no idea when. I'll try reaching out to him again
[2:29 PM] Silent: offloading to a separate processis the easy part and I am convinced I could do it without a separate process
[2:29 PM] Silent: just memory map files, that'd technically allow for over 4gb ram usage by a 32-bit process
[2:30 PM] Silent: but the streaming logic of when to load/unload - that's the hard part
[2:30 PM] CreeperLava: From what I understand the enboost exe acts like a server for textures
[2:30 PM] CreeperLava: It's just a proxy
[2:30 PM] Silent: Yeah
[2:31 PM] Silent: But again, logic on when to load something is the hard part
[2:31 PM] Silent: Unless it uses shared resources in d3d9ex and they somehow don't occupy address space of the game

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Yes, this is how he think it works. Streaming textures to/from another process. dx9ex was not a solution as it require many interfaces to be replaced (also in case of Skyrim this break compatibility with some mods). Actually i forgot already about this task and all the time spending at doing requests in huge TODO list. I hate unreal and unity engines from modding side, so trials and errors method trying to find why the heck textures not handled properly sometime (they lock without unlocking, if i remember now), make me too much tired and i dropped enboost for mass effect 2.

Thank you for your quick reply. It's understandable that you'd drop the project, however could you share the code you wrote or give us enough details to try to figure it out ourselves? It can stay under the ENBoost "brand", I don't really care, as long as we have a working solution.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Nope, sorry.