Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.322

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.322

Obviously it happens, because game copy data from own process, while mod copy from another and use all safety checks if texture is valid or not. Use EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true to remove stuttering.

*sensei*

ENBSeries wrote:Obviously it happens, because game copy data from own process, while mod copy from another and use all safety checks if texture is valid or not. Use EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true to remove stuttering.
That's what I was using to begin with, when I noticed the stutter. It's odd, as it didn't happen before I stopped playing for a few months. Upon returning, now it does stutter. Regardless of the settings I use, it persists, though if I set everything to false so ENB is not doing anything, the stutter is there but not as severe.

Also reverted to an older driver from 2018, and there is no difference.

I guess I'll reinstall Windows 7 again, see if that changes anything.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Maybe OS was updated, so it no longer allow to see more than 4gb or VRAM. Try to check with vram size tool from downloads

*sensei*

ENBSeries wrote:Maybe OS was updated, so it no longer allow to see more than 4gb or VRAM. Try to check with vram size tool from downloads
It reports that I have 11936 Mb.

This is very odd. I tried looking at the older version of ENB for Fallout NV, but it doesn't have ENBBoost functionality, so that's kinda pointless to try.

*sensei*

Got around to reinstalling Windows 7, doing a completely fresh install with no bloatware, in the hopes that whatever was messing with ENB would be gone. Unfortunately, that's not the case. There is one change, though: I don't get the memory spikes when I have EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true and DisableDriverMemoryManager=true.

Now, no matter the combination of settings I use, ENB still stutters every couple of seconds when moving. But this only happens in windowed mode, and is unaffected by ENB's borderless window settings (ForceBorderless=false & ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false make no difference). In exclusive full screen (setting bFull Screen=1 in FalloutPrefs.ini), there is no stutter whatsoever.

Another odd observation, is that ENB's available memory statistic is always around 3000MB, regardless of what I set the video memory settings to. VideoMemorySizeMb=8192, VideoMemorySizeMb=2048, no matter the value, the profiler reports just above 3000MB available.

And even with all the settings off, ENB still causes the game to stutter when moving. Bizarre.

Anyone else had this weird behaviour too?

Edit: Testing again, and for some reason, disabling the two borderless window settings removes the hitching. That is bizarre.

2nd Edit: Toggling on disable desktop composition for FalloutNV.exe removes the hitching in borderless windowed. The hell does that mean. Is it some deep down Windows 7 issue, or a faulty graphics card?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

It's specific to video drivers, gpu and game all together. Set max prerendered frames to lower value in driver or set waitbusyrender=true, should help. Btw, mod do not care about windowed or full screen modes, they are processed the same way.

*sensei*

ENBSeries wrote:It's specific to video drivers, gpu and game all together. Set max prerendered frames to lower value in driver or set waitbusyrender=true, should help. Btw, mod do not care about windowed or full screen modes, they are processed the same way.
Aye it seems to look that way. And you're right, as OneTweak's borderless window functions have the exact same effect. Utterly bizarre. WaitBusyRender=true makes the hitches feel like smooth frame-skipping like in an emulator, rather than like proper stutter. It still feels bizarre.