TES Skyrim SE 0.320

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: TES Skyrim SE 0.320

Sampler names (or texture names, cause in dx11 they are separated) are very useful for patching shaders, for example subsurface sampler name means that i should find line where it's readed and add new one to process such texture by my own subsurface scattering effect. Are you sure they didn't add names for textures instead of samplers, similar to GetSamplerName?
7: "MaterialLandscape: normal map" (???)
It can be one of 6 normal maps used in landscape, base name is MultiTextureNormal0Sampler in old skyrim. What i see in shaders, most of skyrim se with sampler 7 have very similar look as landscape shaders in old skyrim, so i think it's one of such maps.
10: ProjectedNormalDetailSampler (???) ProjectedNormalDetail.dds
Don't remember anything like that and can't answer now, this need practical test in the game which objects have such sampler, i'll do this later.
13: WorldMapOverlayNormalSnowSampler OR LODBlendSampler (Skyrim 20 -> SSE 13) WorldMapOverlaySnow_n.dds -- "MaterialLandscape: LOD blend map"
WorldMapOverlayNormalSampler do exist in old skyrim, but again better to test.

PS: i'm busy with moving to live in another place, so can't work on mod very actively, so may start to work on your results after 11 nov or maybe sooner can't tell for sure yet.

@Nukem9 thank you so much for your work on breaking this down!
@Boris, hope your move is going smoothly!

If you're interested in MORE stuff to fix in SE (ha), I realized that spec maps on skin only render when the character is facing north, as if it isn't taking into consideration the worldspace normals.

Left facing north, right facing south, same light source.
https://i.imgur.com/YL9wVbV.jpg

Anyhow, I'm excited for any potential updates. Take your time! Cheers.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Guess its specular from direct light, which is complete trash in interiors with side or bottom directions mostly. So specular from such directions should look accordinly.

One thing I noticed is that ENB's self-shadowing is superior to SSE's. Not sure if original had anything to do with it, but compare the shadows from the iron helmet casting onto the skin:

ENB
https://imgur.com/KzEgnla

SSE
https://imgur.com/T4Nn6JV

Just putting this out there, although working with shadows in SSE ENB is probably not easy to fix.

Yeah that's part of ENB's detailed shadows and shadow fixes features... Vanilla Skyrim (and SSE) has a lot of missing shadows, the detailed shadows feature is the #1 reason I use ENB, and the main reason I won't switch to SSE. Characters look soooo much better with proper self shadows from their hair and apparel. Shadows on water is another example.

I noticed based on comments on other websites that most people don't even realize what they are missing in SSE with regards to shadows, because many people falsely claim that all shadow problems are fixed in SSE and other people believe that, just because the shadows aren't blocky anymore. Everyone complains about the lack of subsurface scattering in SSE which is a nice but subtle effect, but I have no clue how they don't notice all the missing self shadows, which is way more obvious to me than SSS.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

:( Im sick of SkyrimSE and Fallout 4 games updates. I don't know what they do, but don't see any positive progress, only ruin modding.

So much for the 1.5.16 update and the CCC file, and the promise not to break PC every sodding month. Creation Club <3

SkyrimSE and Fallout 4 are "officially complete" games, the main Bethesda dev team have already moved on to new projects. But they still want to make money using these games, so they will continue to release Creation Club content made by modders, to try to make these games into a service. Which means they need to keep updating the game .exe to prepare for upcoming CC content... so basically, non-stop updates that don't actually improve the game, the game exe is now basically a storefront, they will probably never stop updating it. Everyone in the industry is chasing the "games as service" money and Bethesda wants that money too, they are not going to change their business model because wrapper style mods like SKSE and ENB are now difficult to maintain, they don't care about these mods. They only said they would "look into" not breaking these mods every update to keep people happy, but obviously there's no way they can do that, that's just what happens when you change code and recompile the exe. I wouldn't expect updates to stop anytime soon (many years), the old days are gone.

@ENBSeries

Will you ever want fix the broken water reflections in ENB itself?
(Trees with black bars in water: https://i.imgur.com/yn43NSd.png)

They draw trees using a flat "box" instead of the real tree model in a pre-pass render:
https://i.imgur.com/jX6ugbU.jpg

The rendertarget is this cubemap and it looks like shit:
https://i.imgur.com/PqB5gdG.jpg

Everything under Shaders\DistantTree\XXXX.hlsl draws them. I have a few ideas to fix them myself with

Code: Select all

if (alpha != 1.0) discard;
or changing the samplers. I'm not sure if you knew already.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Nukem9
I can't say yet, this must be tested on practice, atm i busy making parser of shader properties which you did, so can't switch and test fast. Added in todo list.