Fallout 4 0.287 beta

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Fallout 4 0.287 beta

Fallout 4 (TES With Guns)

ENBSeries 0.287 beta (graphic mod) / ENBoost (patch)

Added depth of field shader with example code for bokeh dof, computation of focusing distance without first person models and aperture. Added aperture texture to enbeffect.fx shader as result of depth of field processing. Added depth of field parameters to enbseries.ini.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 4 0.287 beta

Holy shit!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Confirmed sample DOF working fine for me, and seems to be performance friendly. I notice that foliage which is not moving when in focus appears to 'shimmer' when out of focus (like heavy aliasing, or maybe the game's TAA trying to deal with the blurring from the DOF? I guess this is just an artifact of the sample DOF rather than a real bug, but just thought I would mention it. Very glad to see the release of one of the first substantial ENB effects for Fallout 4 :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Nice one Boris :)

tapioks
The shimmering occurs by the game TAA as you suspected, really makes the vanilla bloom into small sputterin flares at times :lol:

*master*

just amazing stuff. all the references between files.
i just hope skilled shader coders will get their hands on your new framework (well i know a lot already do), it looks like a dream of a playground to develop weird things with, even in this early stage.

a question about 16bit enbeffectpostpass.fx and your dithering. just to make sure. your dithering is now always on with ENB? which means there is pretty much no need for additional dithering/movie grain to fight banding anymore.

Damn, that was fast. Careful now Boris, you may find yourself with a finished product too quickly and then you'll get bored! :D
Thanks as always. Will be sure to test this evening.

*master*

Appears to work very well on my system. No problems. DoF is quick, looks nice, and feels natural.
Wolrajh wrote:Careful now Boris, you may find yourself with a finished product too quickly and then you'll get bored! :D
Rushing to be done with Fallout 4 in time for Dragon's Dogma to come out...
Well, that's what I'm doing, anyway.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

benhat
Dithering is always on for hidden pass, which occurs after enbeffectpostpass.fx or if it not exist, then after enbeffect.fx. It required because game draws post process to low quality ldr texture. Later after several draws it applies lut where no dithering is done, but it seems okay. May be for performance reasons and for reducing vram usage i'll make that lq hdr format as input for dof, can't say for sure, it may corrupt data which i compute previously. The big problem is vram now, TextureOriginal, temporary render targets, 64 bit textures in enbeffectpostpass are the worse nightmare for me.

About rushing, when i worked on GTA5 mod, presets makers told me several times that they don't need all that properties to tweak things which they can adjust with the weather and the most useful are post process shaders. Now i do what they said and if presets will not appear, this will be another drop. And yeah, Dragon's Dogma rules.

So I guess grain/dithering from files isn't needed anymore, as your own dithering settings are more or less hardcoded, right ?

Is it useful at this step to make and distribute presets or should we wait to be out of beta ? I guess there are still core features in developement, and having to constantly update may rebute standard users. Anyway, I'd rather have an entirely ENB-based preset to distribute as I am still relying on some Reshade effects for now. Guessing they won't stick around for long, though. I fear the single thing I may miss the most unless proved translatable to ENB will be Mcfly's DoF with custom Bokeh shapes. Everything else I'm confident will be available sooner or later.

Side note related to my session from yesterday with .286, I felt a drop in performance. I'm not sure, sadly, it this was due to switching to 0.286, Fallout 4 latest patch, or Nvidia latest drivers that I let Experience install without thinking too much about it. I had a hard time motivating the game to run in a higher resolution borderless window again with DSR enabled on the desktop, so I feel something went fishy somewhere. I'll definitely have a look tonight with 0.287.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Wolrajh
Game still have banding itself and film grain reducing it, because it have much bigger ranges than dithering.
Enbeffect.fx file may be changed in the future, perhaps lens texture will be as input, but it's minor thing which do not affect presets. Bloom and lens fx left to do for generic features which will move the mod out of beta stage.

Forgot to answer, txaa produce artifacts because all objects shifting on screen. So, do not use any code which heavily depends from brightness of individual pixel. For example, currentpixel=max(currentpixel, centerpixel) - will lead to disco light. In case of dof for small ranges of blur you need to use prepass which is somephing like gaussian blur and then use this result for computing bokeh blurring with bigger ranges. Not 100% working solution, but much better and i don't know if anything else can be done with this engine.