Fallout 4 0.288

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Fallout 4 0.288

Fallout 4 (TES With Guns)

ENBSeries 0.288 (graphic mod) / ENBoost (patch)

Added enbbloom.fx and enblens.fx shaders as examples for preset makers, bloom is drawed after depth of field and lens after bloom. Added parameters and lens texture to enbeffect.fx shader. Added RenderTargetRGB32F temporary render target to depth of field and post process shader for optimization purposes. Changed render targets format of enbeffectpostpass.fx to 32 bit with 10 bits per color channel and 2 bits for alpha, performance is more important than quality difference which nobody can see when using 64 bit format. Added dithering. Fixed mistakes in my comments for shader files.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 4 0.288

Thank you sir!

Fantastic. I take it this is the first out-of-beta release? =)

Thanks for your hard work and dedication.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@Boris

Could I ask you to provide a brief explanation of what each of the depth of field parameters controls (aside from Aperture Size, Bokeh Size and Blur Max Range -- I think I understand these)?

For example, what does 'sensitivity to nearest' control? How does 'sensor size' impact the effect? How do aperture time and focusing time differ?

I know you hate writing documentation, but any guidance you can provide would be very much appreciated!

*sensei*

Thank you for the update Boris!

Two things tho: You forgot to add EnableLens in enbseries.ini (however it is created when launching the game).

And also a suggestion regarding bloom; I remember I watched a presentation about PBR and it was mentioned how using the usual bloom methods is wrong with PBR, because of the flickering. And indeed, your bloom flickers a lot, for instance, on a SubMachine Gun. It was said that the bloom needs to be normalized to avoid that. In that same presentation Sonic Ether's bloom was used as an example of proper bloom for PBR.

EDIT: Here's how it looks on my setup: http://postimg.org/image/4k5od3xkj/ http://postimg.org/image/qtjljnt0z/

Also, since you are working on DX11 now, would it be possible to make a high quality GI algorithm? Something like Voxel Cone Tracing?

And one more suggestion, would it be possible to implement SuperSampling? TAA is not enough and downsampling is a bitch in Fallout 4.
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

MaxTheUniqueGamer
by PBR you mean physically based?
How is the flickering bloom related to PBR or not? (unless you're talking about soft lighting that caused by PM 2.5)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Wolrajh
Yes, first non-beta.

tapioks
Dof and all other shaders are made only as examples, you need to ignore parameters which are not global of the game or the mod. Dof parameters are local declared via annotations and not forced from the mod or enbseries.ini.
EFocusingSensitivity (sensitivity to nearest) means that any small objects closer to camera will be ignored or not. For example you are looking through fence, this controls if focusing will happen on fense or on objects behind it.
Sensor size and aperture size are the same factors, but separated to mimic cameras, both affect range of bokeh circle on screen.
Aperture time have nothing in common with focusing time. Aperture texture is made for those modders, who want to try modify it on the fly depending from screen brightness, like automatic camera mode. In implemented example this texture do not adjust brightness, but just transfer information to other shaders to let them do changes accordingly. Aperture brightness modification is not recommended, because adaptation is already do that, but if someone wish to remove adaptation or make two adaptations together - go on. One adaptation is eye sensitivity with huge delay, like day/night, while faster aperture is for local low range changes at average same time of the day (i don't know how to describe in english).

MaxTheUniqueGamer
I will not normalize bloom. Downsampling is done to 1024*1024 texture from screen to reduce issues and later i'll "play" with different algorithms there, but some things cannot be fixed if they are done already and i'm talking about game.
would it be possible to make a high quality GI algorithm? Something like Voxel Cone Tracing?
I am cpu limited with so many draw calls of the game, at this moment many Skyrim features of the mod sounds like fantastic science in Fallout.
would it be possible to implement SuperSampling?
I'm just started with the game, give me a break.

Wow Boris, you're really cranking out the graphics effects now! Great work, we all appreciate it.

*sensei*

Kingeric

Found the presentation and the bit about the bloom: https://youtu.be/OeEYEUCa4tI?t=37m45s

Boris
I am cpu limited with so many draw calls of the game, at this moment many Skyrim features of the mod sounds like fantastic science in Fallout.
Ah, that's a shame. Well, either way, you've done an outstanding job already, the game looks much better with ENB and the performance impact is barely there.
I'm just started with the game, give me a break.
Well, I'm not saying that it's a top priority future, just sharing some ideas ;)
Last edited by MaxG3D on 10 Dec 2015, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

*master*

tapioks wrote:@Boris

Could I ask you to provide a brief explanation of what each of the depth of field parameters controls (aside from Aperture Size, Bokeh Size and Blur Max Range -- I think I understand these)?

For example, what does 'sensitivity to nearest' control? How does 'sensor size' impact the effect? How do aperture time and focusing time differ?

I know you hate writing documentation, but any guidance you can provide would be very much appreciated!
Hey tapioks, also, the sensor size behaves just like a camera. When it comes to sensor size, the bigger the sensor, the more out of focus you can get at said aperture. Think of smaller numbers like that of your cell phone camera with a little 1" sensor, or something small like that, while half-way would be like a micro 4/3 camera or a crop sensor, while the highest 36, could be like a Full Frame or Medium Format sensor. The larger the number, the more DOF you can get in the picture. It can also be used with the Aperture Size, Bokeh Size, to all dial in how you want the Out of Focus area to look to you. If you just max everything out, I'm sure you have seen some artifacting in some area, more so in shadowy sections I believe. I use all of these to try and dial it out, while still giving me that great look we all want. It's really pretty good for just an example :) Hope that helps some.

P.S. Actually tapioks, I just looked at the enbdepthoffield.fx file, and the notes say what I was saying about the sensor size. The minimum 4.8 is equivalent to a 1/3" sensor, like a cell phone, etc, and the max value of 36 is equivalent to a 35mm full frame sensor.
Last edited by ibbanez on 10 Dec 2015, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.