Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.278

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.278

Issue withhairs is different and i tried to fix it with no luck, game draw transparent objects not sorted properly and effects like ssao do need depth which not exist for transparent objects, so i draw it before game render transparent objects (some still drawed earlier), to reduce as much bugs as possible. And it is very hard to mask hair, because i didn't find definition of it as object compared to other transparent elements. Maybe i'll find some another idea, don't know. And i guess need savegames to see all the bugs.

Okay. To tell the truth, out of all of the issues, the hair is the one that bothers me the least.
Yes, it’s an affront to my perfectionist tendencies, but I can live with it.

However, being a preset maker and always wanting to exceed levels of my previous work,
I’ve wanted to release something without the glowing dust storms for a long time.
Do you think anything can be done about that or is it an impossible task like the hair?

I think the only other alternative if it’s not addressed by ENB is to have textures scripted to change depending on time of day.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

As i said, need savegames. And maybe codes of buggy locations for teleporting (if coc works in fallout) or weathers.

*sensei*

There is a fix for hairs, detailed by a user on Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/images/85975/?

The fix also worked for Oblivion's hairs when SSAO is enabled.

Okay, Boris. I’ll link savegames and a list of coc cell locations for you to check out when I get home home work later.

FiftyTifty, I was actually aware of that link. It was posted on VGU/GUN forums a couple of years ago when Cruz011, Hitman47101 and myself were having this same conversation. I seem to remember it didn’t fix the problem for the hairs. It was a long time ago though, so I’ll revisit it and try the fix again. Isn’t this the method used for the ENB transparency fix that Marcurios added as an optional file in Midhras’ FO3 preset? If so, it doesn’t solve the problem - only reduces it slightly.

*sensei*

I've no idea about FO3 presets. My guess is that it didn't cover all the hairs, or the .nif files were modified wrongly. Give it a go yourself, with the vanilla hairs, and see if that fixes it.

I'd do it myself, but I'm still waiting for TTW 3.0 to come out before I get stuck in.

@FiftyTifty - so yeah, as I thought, the fix provided by SariDecember does not address the problem I'm talking about. That fix is for transparency issues and that fix does indeed work. That's the method that is used in Drumber's FCO ENB mesh fixes and the one by Marcurios' optional file on Midhrastic's ENB page. The issue I'm talking about is glowing hairs at night, if say the hair colour is anything but blacks and dark browns.

Here's an example:

At lower ambient light levels, levels that you will want to use to make the nights darker, the hair literally glows above everything else. In this screenshot I have actually applied the transparency fix to the mesh and, as you can see, and as I suspected, it made no difference. I even tried reducing the glossiness of the mesh to 0 and still the mesh glowed at night. So unless this is something ENB can address -- as it's only happening when ENB is active -- I don't know...

@Boris, as requested, I've attached a 7z with 3 Fallout New Vegas Save files including their respective NVSE files.

Save 2 Courier Goodsprings 00 07 02.fos = Glowing Dust Wisps
Save 3 Courier Mojave Wasteland 00 07 54.fos = Dust Storm at El Dorado Dry Lake (another dust storm at Nipton Road Pit Stop)
Save 4 Courier Hidden Valley 00 08 32.fos = Hidden Valley at night - glowing sandstorm

If you need to coc to some cells - just make sure you visit them at night time:

coc ElDoradoDryLake
coc SLNiptonRoadPitStop

I'm unsure how these areas will look with default ENB preset from your download section, but if you reduce indirect lighting and ambient lighting at night in these locations, you should see the problem.

Alternatively, try Jay's ENB - https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58477/?
I've been using that for testing.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Have you checked those meshes in NifSkope ?
I saw a similar problem in Skyrim (and in Enderal too), some of the meshes, in the original game, have wrong Emissive Color (not black) and Emissive Multiple set to more then 1.0, which makes them glowing at night, and of course in the shadows, if you use a low ambient light level and ENB.

English is not my native language.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super, 64GB ram

@Guzio, indeed. I considered this and checked it. The Emissive Colors were fine.
Incidentally, I had wanted to fix this problem several times over the years and took several stabs at it.
I even spoken to Mindflux to see if he could help. We could not find a fix though... until now [hail Boris]