TES Skyrim 0.272

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*master*

Re: TES Skyrim 0.272

@skysan
actually boris has working GI for ENB. But only in black/white. there are limitations that prevent it from being implemented that easy in full.
so it would take a shitload of time or not even possible in the end (with decent amount of performance).
so... very understandable when you speak of skyrim...
thats my info

benhat wrote:@skysan
actually boris has working GI for ENB. But only in black/white. there are limitations that prevent it from being implemented that easy in full.
so it would take a shitload of time or not even possible in the end (with decent amount of performance).
so... very understandable when you speak of skyrim...
thats my info
GI and indirect lighting are two different things to most developers. What Boris has can be seen as an extension to SSAO, and not so much global illumination. I think he understands that he cant reasonably implement real-time GI at the time he worked on Skyrim and opted to implement something simple while still giving a similar effect. Besides, like I said before, he probably doesn't have the information he needs from the renderer to implement GI.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

RedFlamez
Boris was talking about implementing GI in Skyrim as recently as v0.245. I think it was mentioned a couple more times much more recently as something separate from SSAO/IL, so it seems he CAN do it... however, as benhat said, as far as I've heard it's only working in B/W. I understand the limitations involved so I can see it being very difficult if not impossible to do with reasonable performance and lack of access to the full render pipeline and source code. I'll stop here before I start guessing and make myself look like a complete fool (a little bit of a fool is ok with me ;) ) and let Boris give his official response.

As an obvious note... GI would change Skyrim into something truly amazing! Suck it, Witcher! =P

Jafin16 wrote:RedFlamez
Ahh yes you are correct, I had no idea it was possible. This seems like a great addition, I'd love to see what he can do with it.
ENBSeries wrote:IBL in my version is very simplified, just blurred sky. I thought about upgrading it to capture image from the ground too, but this have some performance problems, so i decided to keep that for later use as part of global illumination. All such kind of features are in todo list, but i'm afraid to touch them, all about performance. Shadows too.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

RedFlamez is totally right about GI. I can't do it without sacrificing something important and important are performance, quality in details, artifacts when sun and/or camera and/or objects moving. Combining mine ssao, ssil, skylighting in to single code will give only local effect which not worth it, as most important part of it is in data from the big distance. Because game is moddable i'll can't use proxy meshes for GI and lod system ruins any ideas based on automatic generating of them. The best possible GI is only in screen space and what was visible in camera recently (with errors when something changes there). Just know how painfully will be fixing that artifacts so don't want to touch that till i have good mood to develop it from start to end without breaks.

About histogramm, i really don't see any point using it, who cares about cut colors or anything like that if the screen is what you like or not is the only important thing? Much better to make gamma correction tool, because users have displays with 1.0, 1.5, 1.8, 2.2, 4.0 gamma and images looks very different to them.

This question might have been asked before but i failed to find it anywhere.
Is distant terrain shadows (like shadows from mountains in the distance) possible to implement in Skyrim?
Last edited by wrien on 23 Jun 2015, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Possible, i will not do that.

ENBSeries wrote:Possible, i will not do that.
Ok, one more. Are you still doing Volumetric Clouds :) ?
Great work anyway. Skyrim would be long dead if not for Enb.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No, i made them and dropped, don't see any sense to give it to public.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Got ips 24" display based on visual comparison between others in the shop by minimal amount of led displays artifacts (glow, v/h angles, motion lag, black level). I thought it's about the same as my old CRT display and i was very wrong, CRT (at least mine) outperform ips LED. It's very annoyng to see the difference in brightness just because of distance between eyes, stereo effect on sides takes too much attention. And i'm working (for eyes safety) at low levels of brightness and contrast, with new display the lowest level is a bit higher than required, but image is washed out grey because of low contrast and increasing contrast badly affect eyes for long periods of time. I expected such result, but doesn't matter any more, noone care about true image quality, even photographs using the same garbage, i don't make anything graphics related for myself, so i can live with it.

PS: skyrim presets looks much close to each other now.