TES Skyrim 0.266

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*master*

Re: TES Skyrim 0.266

ok maybe this is stupid for you :) but what when you interpolate the depth drawing of reflection with fog values (like imagespace fog settings and fogcolorsettings of enb), then with those values just do a very simple kind of alpha fade out for reflections the further away they are, which can also be controlled in enb menu.
or is it not possible because of what you said, and the values are not present because of rendering order.
very badly explained ;) i guess there a millions of things i dont know and play into it though, arent there... also its so simple you aready have thought about it anyway i guess...
anyway.
thanks!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Something off-topic but since you posted so much about this GTX 970 memory leak, what does it essentially mean for the user? I ask because I fancy buying one and in this price area I don't see many other options.

*sensei*

if you run at resolutions above 1080p you will most likely get a bit more texture popin (compared to using a 4Gb model with the same texture load). Also lower performance if you try to use AA at those resolutions. In general just a bit more choppy experience because higher resolutions require more memory for effects.

If you only use 1080p you will most likely never notice the difference unless you really go out of your way to look for it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Are there any alternatives both price and performance-wise?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

The R9 290X is the only real other option at roughly the same price and performance. Performance will vary obviously between titles but they're at about the same level of performance. The 290X has full 4GB (there are 8GB models too), and draws a heck of a lot more power but seems to be $20-30 cheaper on newegg right now, so you'll wanna consider that. Both have a decent amount of overclocking headroom if you have proper cooling and enough power. If you're going above 1080p the 290X is probably the way to go as it really starts to shine at 1440p and higher. If you're mostly staying at 1080p then the 970 is probably the better buy. On that note, AMD doesn't offer any direct driver supported downsampling (except VSR which is basically DSR) so you'll need to use tools like GeDoSaTo or SRWE. If you have a QHD or 4k Panel that obviously isn't as much of an issue.

That said, the word is that next month the new AMD cards are coming out so you might wanna wait for that before making a final decision. Nvidia is likely to launch a 980ti and Titan X Ultra in response too (that's all rumor right now though). However, if you're firmly in the Team Green Camp then AMD doesn't matter, or if certain driver features are important such as G-Sync/FreeSync, custom resolutions, Mantle, DSR/VSR, etc. that would obviously factor into your decision.

Outside of that you go into different price and performance brackets. The R9 290 loses little in performance compared to the 290X and prices a little under $300 (and I love mine!) The GTX 960 isn't really a substitute and the GTX 980 is a great card that comes with a price premium (nearly double the 970 on newegg right now.)

I realize that isn't the most enlightening and probably just gives information you already know, but it's what's out there. At the end of the day, the 290X is really the only direct competitor to the 970 and those are really the only 2 cards in that performance and price range.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Eww AMD, had 2 ones and wasn't satisfied with them at all, GTA IV ran for me with a HD 5770 as fast as on a GF 9500GT (which should be way slower), then ENB is best on Nvidia, I love PhysX and so on so AMD isn't really an option for me.
Is there any estimation where the GTX 980 Ti ranges price and performance-wise? I've seen Ti versions being faster than the respective no Ti but also the opposite.

What causes this outline around particle effects? My antialiasing is 0

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Marty
Well, since the 980ti hasn't officially been announced yet, it's hard to say. What I've heard, however, is it'll basically be a trimmed down GTX Titan X. Same GM200 GPU, probably 4-6GB of VRAM (unconfirmed of course)... similar to how the 780ti was with the Titan Black. For price, the best guess would be around $700. But of course, this information is all what I've uncovered from leaks and other rumors, so take it with a grain of salt.

mystikrice
High FireIntensity and screwy textures. You use Ultimate HD Fire? Most of the textures have a weird outline that's about a pixel wide around the border... some are just part of the border, some are all of it. It usually doesn't show up but when you have a high fire intensity (like you do) it becomes visible. Turn down FireIntensity or fix the textures...

*sensei*

Actually Jarfin.. it is cold not fire ... ahem.... >_>

Anyways what he says is right, it is a problem with those effects texture and your settings. Especially certain sharpening techniques as well as high contrasts will make it really visible.

I did try fixing the textures but concluded that there might be some mesh UV stuff involved as well, and just gave up on it, since I just altered my style a bit so it did not show any more, or at least so little that it was not an eye sore.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

benhat
I'm using alpha depth drawing to fix some buggy objects, like custom hairs, to make them work properly in the fog. Negative side effect is visible when you see at line of sight any smoke particle close to camera and mountain fog at the distance. I don't want to think which bugs will happen with reflection if i'll use this technique, especially when it contain objects which must be filtered out. Game is not designed for such effects, period.

Marty McFly
gf970 issue means nothing for end user, everything is same as for any nvidia card, same behavior by performance when vram is full (but 3.5 gb instead of 4). Display resolution does not matter, because 1080 vs 4k differ not much by vram amount actually, this is totally depends from the game engine, how many additional surfaces it use of screen size (my mod use a lot of them, games with complex graphics and deffered also).
I don't see any point to buy 4 gb vram size videocard now if you wish to use it in nearest 3 years. This size is enough, but any game which outperform modern consoles will need more vram for textures. They can be placed in ram (as it's always happening), but at cost of performance and stuttering.

myztikrice
Invalid texture. It's hard to notice small non black areas on sides when they are drawed, with high intensities they are shown.