Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.263

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.263

In downloads of enbdev.com, select version you need and then press square black button with down arrow on it. This one: Image

*sensei*

Boris, i have a question.

I have been adjusting my ENB config for years now, i can get it to look ok at the daytime,
but whatever i do, no matter what i change, i always keep getting banding in my clouds at night,
there is just no way to get it out, only when i make everything brighter at night then normal.

EDIT: damned, i hate this, everytime i decide to ask for help i find out what is wrong by myself.
I am using the game's original postprocessing and my weather colors where just too dark.
so i set them to a bright value and now the clouds are perfect at night.

That means i have to redo my entire weather mods colors to make it perfectly suited for ENB.
SO it was not a problem with ENB, but with my own mod.

So you can ignore this post..

*sensei*

I was a bit too hasty in saying i solved it, while it is a lot better now, it's not completely gone.
especially with overcast clouds that have no alpha layer, clouds that cover up the gradient.
they still have the banding problem, some pretty badly.

it definitely is something in the way ENB processes the image, it doesn't do gradient like textures very well in dark conditions.
when colors are close together, it melts them into eachother producing banding, especially when you make it pretty dark.
i guess that is reasonably predictable behaviour cause when it's dark the amount of shades/colors reduce drastically.
but it is still strange that with the game's own processing this does almost never occur, and with ENB it does.

Edit: after some more fiddling i found that if i disable adaptation alltogether and up the brightness to 4 and upped the cloudintensity, the problem is entirely gone,
so it seems that adaptation, no matter what settings you use, greatly reduces the availiable bitdepth for the colors, especially in darker areas..

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't know what you talking about. Post comparison screenshots.

*sensei*

Well, now i disabled adaptation, there is no need to, cause it works perfectly now.

Also, i noticed that day and night colors in the weather mods should be kept relativy bright
and kept close together, and let the day/night detection do it's work.
Before i made some colors in the night pretty dark, so i guess i was cutting off bitdepth myself by setting the colors too dark.

I guess that adaptation would work too now if i'd enable it, but i rather like the fact that brightnesses stay as i set them.
I also noticed that adaptation sometimes brightens up white surfaces a little bit too much.
So if i disable it and set all brightnesses myself, that can't happen.

I also noticed that if i use a palette, that banding is more likely to occur.
But i got it all out now, everything looks fine, it's just a question of setting everything right.

First i have set all values to your start values, except the adaptation, then i set all my colors in my weather mod and edited all imagespacemodifiers to be right.
And then i started tweaking the ENB values, and it all behaved and works perfectly now.

some examples, all looks good:

cloudy weather afternoon

midday

normal day afternoon

Still tweaking though, the mod is not done yet.

*master*

Request: If possible, please port the " Added string variables to shaders for text annotations." from Skyrim .265. Thanks for considering.

Boris did you ever have any luck at implementing SSS in Fallout? I know there was a mention of it a while ago and you said you would see if it was possible.

Thanks!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

number6
Wrote in todo list.

drumber
No, don't think it's possible at all, game renderer is very primitive multipass.

*sensei*

Boris, i was wondering, is ENB not compatible with in-game shadows ?

cause i get this when i enable shadows:

That would be a bummer cause i'm trying to get my cloud dome to throw shadows on the ground.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Don't know anything, game setting maxed and vanilla works fine.