Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.237

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.237

Fallout New Vegas / Fallout 3

ENBSeries graphic mod / ENBoost patch 0.237

Fixed some landscape shaders to remove detailed shadow artifacts.

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.237

Awesome, thanks Boris

*sensei*

Thanks Boris, works like a charm !!

The quality is much better with latest ENB, especially outside. I'm encountering a strange texture bug on certain objects when I move the camera. I've included an example below. You'll see in one shot the armor is untextured, or just plain white, where the second one is fine. Didn't have this problem before.

Total ENB newbie (and haven't quite figured out the forums yet either) so I apologize if I posted this to the wrong area as I couldn't quite find a thread that fit my questions :oops: .

I have a question as I can't seem to find out the answer or any guides anywhere on this, if anyone can answer this or at least give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it. I am extremely new to ENB, and for now I just want to maximize my performance and then maybe start adding effects, but only after I can get the most performance as I possibly can at this moment (already had about 10+fps increase and would like to see how much more I can get). I have viewed the "Memory Quotes" page and Skyrim's ENBoost information page (read the both thoroughly) however there are a couple things that could use a little clarification for people who are very new to using any kind of ENB or ENBoost features. So now I'll get right to the questions (and I'm only asking because I'm not sure what exactly I should do).

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3Ghz (2.99 in system info and cpu/gpu-z)
GSkill Ripjaws 4GB ram (2 of them, total 8GB RAM and 16gb swap)
Asus Geforce GTX 650TI OC edition (1gb VRam, 980MHz core clock, 1350MHz memory clock) (latest nVidia driver version 331.82)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Now the questions I have concerning some settings that I don't quite understand or was too little clear information on:
VideoMemorySizeMb= setting, I've read the information on the "memory quotes" page and I'm not quite sure about something. There's no clarification of any type as to which formula to use:
Formula: My results:
1) VRAM + RAM - 2048 7168
2) VRAM + (RAM/2) - 2048 3072
3) VRAM 1024

All 3 are very different, and near the bottom it is said you can increase the value over the VRAM of your card if you have "a large amount of RAM". I assume this is system RAM only (8GB for me), and that 8GB is considered as a "large amount", however I know that there are quite a few people who have 16, 32, or even more GBs of system RAM. So I am unsure as to what quantifies as "Large Amount of RAM" now. The other question concerning this is with my setup and how widely different the values are, I'm unsure of which results would be best as there are no indicators as to which formula should be used as a starting place (depending on RAM size). I will be testing the first 2 has I have yet to do so, starting with 7168, and see how it performs, then try out the 2nd option and see what differences there are.

The other question is considering the widely varied numbers to use in "VideoMemorySizeMb=", the pages say if you have 2gb or more to use 512 reserved, for less than 2GB of VRAM to try 256 (though needs testing). My question is that do the above formulas have an impact on what you should put into the "VideoMemorySizeMb=" function? For example considering the first 2 options result in higher than 2GB of "VRAM", do I use 512 or is this function apply ONLY to your actual physical VRAM?

Another question is for the new vegas: If I want to do boost only with no enb, do I just set "GlobalEffects=False" or does that only deal with the Effects Section? I couldn't find any clear information on this at all anywhere and since I'm extremely new to using any forms of ENB, I don't understand some of the options or what they do exactly or what kind effects (performance or otherwise) that they have.

I can post my settings (or sections) I am using in my ini files for ENB if they are requested (or required). Just tell me the preferred method for posting those.

Sorry for the long post and not understanding some of the things well :? :oops:

DragonWrath

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

DragonWrath
Well, welcome to ENB!

Now before I start answering your questions in total, I'll preface this with this: I'm very experienced with Skyrim ENB and have only dabbled in Fallout 3 a little (game never grabs me) and I don't even own NV. However, in this respect at least, Skyrim and Fallout ENB's are very very similar (perhaps even the same?). So, on to your questions.

The proper formula for your system would be option 1. However, if for some reason that doesn't work (CTD's, ILS, massive frame stutter, a drop in fps, etc.) go with option 2. If there's still an issue go with 3. Options 2 and 3 are primarily for, and someone correct me if I'm wrong (Boris?), 32-bit OS. You have a x64 so go with Option 1.

The ReservedMemorySizeMb is based on your actual, physical VRAM. However, as I've seen with Skyrim, sometimes even with more than 2gb of VRAM, 256 works better. So, in your case, go with 256, maybe even 128 if you're having any issues. That parameter reserves a certain amount of VRAM for... umm... well, I forget why, but the memory is reserved (i.e. not used for normal purposes) so if you don't have a bunch to spare, don't reserve too much. So go 256.

For the final one, I believe you have to set it to false. Some of the more experienced FO enb users can answer that more definitively. Skyrim has a bit different method so I'm just not 100% sure. Logically, though, that would seem to be the case (based on my looking at the files briefly).

I hope that was helpful and should at least get you started on the right path. As I said, I'm more familiar with Skyrim, so any Fallout ENB users can correct anything I said here, but I've given the info as I know it.

Cheers!

*sensei*

@Jafin,

Skyrim has a evolved (bethesda altered) Gamebryo engine so it's definitely different from the Fallout Gamebryo engine.
It has much more state of the art functionality even if the core is derived from the same engine.
The scripting engine is also a separate one in Skyrim and is no longer integrated into the gameengine to improve stability.

But i don't know what that does in relation to ENB, but i don't play SKyrim and i only play Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas,
so i can tell DragonWrath my experience with it.

@DragonWrath,

Just set the VideoMemorySizeMb= to the amount of VRAM that is on your vidcard.

I currently play with these settings and it works very good;
This is what i have understood as to what the settings mean.

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true - Defrag/Memory optimization (the process can allocate greater size of memory blocks, if required)
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true - Enable ENBBoost Memory manager (reduce CTD's)
DisableDriverMemoryManager=true - Disable Original video drivers memory management ( i use AMD and need to set this to true otherwise i get temporary freezes)
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false - When set "true" can give faster cell load times as geometry/textures are not loaded into video memory until visible.
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true - Workaround mode for users experiencing large amount of stutter, typically systems with large amount of VRAM (4GB+) (for testing only)
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512 - Buffer for memory/VRAM swapping
VideoMemorySizeMb=3072 - Amount of VRAM (can be changed to lower values if performance is not with full VRAM)

you can probably set it like this with NVidia;

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=(whatever your VRAM size is)

I don't know the code behind it, so i don't understand what precisely happens, so i could be wrong,
but this is what i've come to understand in the last few days after searching and asking some questions.

It could be that it's wise to not have two memory managment functions active at the same time (just guessing here),
so incase of poor performance, set DisableDriverMemoryManager=true.

Just mess with it a bit, the important thing to remember is that the ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true enables the ENB memory manager.
So to make use of the ENBBoost function this needs to be at true.

There is 1 more setting, the compression setting, i have it at true, cause i do not notice a difference in performance,
so i guess it's better to compress the data with the same performance cause that means i can load more data, i play with a lot of high res textures.

Unfortunately this version is the first one where Fallout 3 immediately crashes to desktop upon launch for me, since it seems to work for everyone else I wonder what might be wrong as I leave my config files untouched and fallout launches absolutely fine with ever enb d3d9.dll up to the 0.232 previous version but with this one it's instant crash, not even getting to the game menu.

I have a nvidia gtx 770 4Gb, 6Gb of Ram and the enbseries.ini and enblocal.ini have settings I modified to my own liking, I made in fact an ENB preset of my own that I maybe would release on Nexus if I ever find time and they worked absolutely fine until this version, so I have no clue what might be wrong :/

Anyone have an idea to help me out here? Or do you need more info please say so

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Billy1969
Difference between this and previous versions is only in patched shaders, so some of them do not work. All i can do is to apply a bit different code, but if it will fail again, it's driver bug. Test attached version and let me know if it work.

EDIT: file deleted and again several idiots downloaded it without reason, burn in hell!

ENBSeries wrote:Billy1969
Difference between this and previous versions is only in patched shaders, so some of them do not work. All i can do is to apply a bit different code, but if it will fail again, it's driver bug. Test attached version and let me know if it work.
Hello Boris,

Thank you very much for the test file. Unfortunately no luck with it either, I use the latest Nvidia WHQL driver version 331.82 that was just released two days ago, can anyone confirm it works with this driver build?