Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.232

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.232

Hi Boris,

Just noticed that the new SSAO variable 'SamplingPrecision' is not available in the GUI. Can this be added? Also, is -1 a valid value for this, or just 0, 1, 2?

@Marcurios

Hey buddy, I had reformat my computer so been away for a bit, but going to try your weather mod now :P

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

All variables visible in GUI will be added automatically after first game start and limit of quality is also visible in GUI. For me faster to write this text instead of search limits.

*sensei*

@Tapioks,
Heya Brutha,
Cool, i have some updates for it, i'll pack them and send you the link..
Oh, i do have Samplingprecision in my GUI, the ENB indeed ads new functions automatically to the ini after a first run.

@Boris,
Are you aware that if you look straight into the sun and suncoronaintensity is on, that it disables the shadows in the corona ?
Also i have said it before, but i noticed that the shadow on the ground is the standard terrain texture from Fallout.
On all other objects the shadow is correct, but on the ground the standard terrain texture from the ini file is used to render shadows.
just thought i'd mention it.

For the rest, i love the new Skyrim code you ported in, i can do so much more now, and i finally start to get the hang of the code in the shaders,
so i can adjust routines and tweak the functions a bit to my liking..it's perfect..
Thanks again for your mod !

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't have any terrain shadow bugs, work properly for me.
Sun glare is transparent object and perhaps it's filtered by opacity for all post process effects, as remember moved it's drawing code to post process stage to fix many issues and was satisfied enough with result, so don't want to touch it (and fallout in general).

*sensei*

Maybe you do not notice the terrain bug cause you have vanilla textures, and those textures are very smudgy, so you won't notice it.
But if you are correct and i am wrong, what do you think could be the cause of that ?
I have 2048x2048px terrain textures instead of the vanilla 512x512px terrain, could that result in this behaviour ?

Oh ok, well i noticed that if i almost disable the suncorona it looks pretty good too, i have a default game sunglare
that does pretty much the same as the corona so i'll use that to get that effect, then i still have shadows when i look into the sun.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Textures unable affect shadows.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@Boris,

Hmm, ok I will check GUI again for the new Precision variable. Maybe my eyes were crossed >.<

Also, I too understand the 'terrain shadow' issue Marcurios is reporting. Shadows cast onto the ground seem to have a different look than other areas... I will try to capture some screenshots. Maybe it is not a bug, but it looks a bit unusual...

@Marcurios

Allright, send me the new goods and I'll give it a go!
I also just discovered that massive 'Project Brazil' mod ... it's pretty cool! Loved that movie 'Brazil' by Terry Gilliam :)

*sensei*

@Boris,
I thought so too, well then i don't know what is causing it.
I do suspect that the fact that it is the game's (default) terrain texture has something to do with it.
That is the terrain texture that get used by the game engine to render inbetween the LOD and closeby textures.
I suspect that the default texture is Always rendered, and the game renders the other textures on top of that,
and that the shadow glitch on the ground actally makes the current closeby placed texture transparent,
that would explain how it's possible.
But no matter what, i can live with it, it's not a real big deal, i just noticed it cause i was retexturing the terrain with High res textures.
Normally i just play the game and don't pay attention to this so..

@Tapioks,
I send you a link in the gmail bud..
Yep, i have HQ terrain textures for PB in the FNV mod folder too, i also do their weather and i'm going to retex all the new objects for them.
Yeah, Terry Gilliam's Brazil is a masterpiece, all the movies from the guys from Monty Python by the way..
I've always loved their nutty humor.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Now i'm thinking, may be you talking about some of terrain areas, which rendered in multiple passes and i can't properly draw albedo from them? Such textures used to extract lighting from scene output, so potentially may lead to described issue. Don't think that can fix it, it's very specific engine issue, will look at it.

*sensei*

@Boris,
I think so, i think you draw albedo from the default terrain texture, that lies underneath the current main texture that surrounds the player.
That is pretty logical cause that texture is everywhere, albeit under the top layer, but everywhere in a large radius around the player.
The current main textures are the ones that are painted on the land on top of that in a smaller radius around the player (the Ugridstoload cell settings from the ini file), these are the terrain diversity (60 textures).
So the default texture is Always drawn in an bigger circle around the player, and on top of that lie the painted main textures.

If you would be able to draw the white reflection from the top layer, that would be cool.
But you might be right that that is impossible, cause those textures are constantly changing, those are the ones that make up the terrain diversity (rocky ground, sand grass and so on).

If that is not doable, i can Always make the default texture a bit of a fuzzy undetailed one so that it doesn't look all that bad.
I can make it a sandy texture, that would do the trick i guess.
I will try this out tonight to see if i'm right, that way you know that it is the default that is used.
This texture is set in the Fallout.ini file by the way under the [Landscape] section as "SDefaultLandDiffuseTexture=DirtWasteland01.dds" and "SDefaultLandNormalTexture=DirtWasteland01_N.dds"

but if you can find a workaround, i would be more then happy ofcourse.