Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.232

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*sensei*

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.232

So how do i enable the memory manager ?

Is there a explanation anywhere that explains what the settings do ?

i searched the internet for hours for information on each variable in the [Memory] section, but to no avail.\
so after that my only option was to guess what they do, it seems i guessed wrong.

Marcurios wrote:So how do i enable the memory manager ?

Is there a explanation anywhere that explains what the settings do ?

i searched the internet for hours for information on each variable in the [Memory] section, but to no avail.\
so after that my only option was to guess what they do, it seems i guessed wrong.
Did you try the wiki Mem?
Scroll down a bit and theres a bit of info.

Or this one

*sensei*

I have seen those but yesterday Boris said that the first option is for memory defragmentation.
And that is not exactly what these guys are saying.
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=(false, true)
Fix for game engine buffer limitations; allows 64-bit systems to access 3-4GB RAM with optimized performance. Can generally be left true even for 32-bit systems. If using a 32-bit system and having problems test as false.
That is something different imo then memory defrag (optimization could mean defrag but i think optimization could mean different things also, defrag is making whole blocks for faster processing)
And Boris did not mention anything about buffer limitations and stuff, so then i get confused, and even weary if this info is correct.
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=(false, true)
This setting is to enable the ENBoost features of ENB to dramatically reduce CTDs. It is highly recommended to use with ENB Series.
It says, reduce the System RAM usage, i don't know if that is the same as enabling the memory managment functionality.

Maybe it's all correct, i dunno, but I'd like to hear from Boris what the options do, i trust only the information from Boris, cause he wrote the code.
So Boris, if you'd like to look at these links from Dazaster and confirm that these explanations are correct i would be a happy man..

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage - enable memory manager.
ExpandSystemMemoryX64 - enable defragmentation, but defragmentation of ram have absolutely different results compared to defragmentation of hard drive, performance do not change, access time do not change, but process can allocate greater size of memory blocks, if required. It work the most efficient with x64 systems, because on winxp only 3 gb of ram available with some setting in boot.ini.

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I am breaking any rules by asking this question here.

Fallout New Vegas - I am looking for an ENB preset for .232 but can't seem to find one on the Nexus. Doesn't seem like anyone is updating them.

I would just like to just ask if any of you are using one or if you are just tweaking settings as you go.

Thank you.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ganelorm
All presets are backward compatible.

Marcurios
I found the issue with terrain, it's definetly because of multiple textures used, but the only solution i have now is to apply patches individually to each shader, 112 of them found which fit, i'll try to write code to all of them, but it's very annoying work, so may drop and only modify some of them.

*sensei*

Fantastic Boris, thanks a lot for the update !!
Yes that's about how much terrain textures there are in the game, don't know the exact number but you're probably pretty close there.
Edit: i just tested it, and most shadows are correct now, the most important one was the desert sand textures and the cracked earth,
and those shadows are fine now, the rest of the textures are very much alike, so you won't notice it really al that much there,
i must say that it does make more difference then i thought, it looks a lot better with .237.
The shadow desaturation option of the LDR settings from the Procedural correction is also much greyer on the ground textures,
so you really notice the desat effect much better.

OK, so the ReduceSystemMemory is indeed to switch it on, it does make the game more stable, but it also gives some freezes.
I'm guessing that if there is enough VRAM on the Vidcard and i use compression that the game hardly ever runs out of memory,
so in that case i probably won't need to enable the manager.

I'll try some different settings to see if i can get the freezes out, maybe with the DisableDriverMemoryManager and EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks options.
I'm using a Beta driver and from what i understand AMD hasn't got very good drivers so the last option might help a bit.

Thanks again.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Marcurios wrote:Fantastic Boris, thanks a lot for the update !!
Yes that's about how much terrain textures there are in the game, don't know the exact number but you're probably pretty close there.

OK, so the ReduceSystemMemory is indeed to switch it on, it does make the game more stable, but it also gives some freezes.
I'm guessing that if there is enough VRAM on the Vidcard and i use compression that the game hardly ever runs out of memory,

I'll try some different settings to see if i can get the freezes out, maybe with the DisableDriverMemoryManager and EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks options.
I'm using a Beta driver and from what i understand AMD hasn't got very good drivers so the last option might help a bit.

Thanks again.
Try these settings that I use:

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=true
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true (not sure if this works on Nvidia only)

This won't use the helper mod but stops short freezes for me - I use these settings with 100% stability and no freezes

i7 11700k @5.2GHz
RTX 4080
32gb DDR4 RAM C16
WDBlack 2TB Gen 4 NVMEe SSD
Over 100TB of additional storage

my Flickr
my videos

*sensei*

I just tried these settings and this works perfect for me it seems.
So the freezes where probably related to the driver.

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=3072
EnableCompression=true

*master*

electricsheep26354 wrote:
Marcurios wrote:Fantastic Boris, thanks a lot for the update !!

Thanks again.
Try these settings that I use:

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true (not sure if this works on Nvidia only)

This won't use the helper mod but stops short freezes for me - I use these settings with 100% stability and no freezes

OMG, thank you. I know this is old, but these settings finally made Fallout New Vegas completely playable without crashes and stutters. It was the EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true .... Before I remember never using that command, but here it works flawlessly. Nothing else was working. I have a GTX 1080ti with newest Nvidia drivers (382.33)... So again, thank you. Works great here.