Colors and pixels

not under any category
  • Author

Colors and pixels

I dont understand much about the technology in games, but i know some things about visual art colors and human perception. What is interesting to me is how litlle detail does it take for something to look realistic in painting if its the right detail on the right places.
The right color does the trick even when his strokes are "lousy" and undetailed.
Games are trying to look like hoolywood movies becouse thats something we are geting used to and are coming to percive as real (on tv) but grass in holywood movie does not moatch the color of the real grass. When they make a movie with renderd character they are trying to match the real footage and wherebay the easiest way to do it is to "downgrade" the credibitlity of the real footage. If you put gollum in a raw footage you would se actualy how belivable is he.
I lost my point :D what i was trying to ask is, weather a game engine could be made that would render something like this (pictures below). On some of those pictures colors are countable on fingers and pixels not so far away, yet they look more real then any videogame i have seen in 1080. That way of rendering i asume will be really cheap for procesing becouse the technology behind the low res picture can be where the magick lies and where the realistic graficks are "hiding". Becouse for human perception you dont hawe to draw the whole picture/object to percive something, its enough that you sugest some object is there and if you do it right human aye will finish the picture in his head and add al the missing details. Well Thats theory that works in painting :D

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Colors and pixels

I think it's just imagination. Resize and degrade in shader, the game will look much more real. Black-white even more real. Brain built lost data easily, so less you have - the better.