Anti-Aliasing Help

not under any category
  • Author

Anti-Aliasing Help

Hey guys, I can't seem to get anti-aliasing to work properly in Skyrim. FXAA and SMAA looks like crap and does almost nothing to remove jaggies and MSAA disables my ENB and i get like 12 fps(im using newest version). I've tried forcing AA through nVidia Inspector but it either does nothing or has insane performance hits or breaks the game. I've heard that ENB has supersampling but i can't seem to find out how to enable it. Are there any other methods of anti-aliasing on Skyrim? Any help would be apreciated, thanks. I just want to remove at least some of the jaggies :?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Anti-Aliasing Help

Disable deffered render in enblocal.ini (UseDefferedRendering=false), then msaa will work, but half of effects will not be available. Otherwise temporal antialiasing (EnableTemporalAA=true in enblocal.ini) as fast method, but nwithout sli/crossfire support. The slowest and highest quality is supersampling, then AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=true in enblocal.ini and choose resolution in skyrimlauncher video options which is your desktop*2.

Thank you so much for the reply, i cant believe i missed that option in enblocal. ok so i enabled it but i dont see where i can change the resolution for supersampling, i am using borderless window, does that cause a problem with anti aliasing in the game, do i have to go fullscreen to change the resolution?

edit: so i put skyrim in fullscreen and change the resolution to double and fps was crazy low but my sword is terribly aliased ingame still, but in the screenshot it doesnt look as bad for some reason http://i.imgur.com/ycqdGid.jpg

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Doesn't matter which object is on the screen, they all will be supersampled the same manner. So it's probably screen size (window size) is not exactly equal to 0.5 of supersampled resolution or hardware do not support bilinear filtering when stretching (this may happen for windowed or fullscreen only mode, but on my card both are ok). Try with borderless mode (from enblocal.ini, not external plugin) and in fullscreen mode. To reduce performance cost, first turn off reflections and ambient occlusions, if performance is ok, then reduce SizeScale parameters twice and turn on these effects (if you need them). After restarting the game, btw.

I see what you're saying. Supersampling makes my game look worse, all it does is double the pixels and make my game look really grainy and its worse than regular resolution, the textures are still jagged and the performance hit is too much. I guess this game has no proper way to remove jagged edges without blurring the whole screen or having an insane performance hit.
Last edited by HizFather on 31 Jan 2014, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

For me supersampling works as it should, so better keep looking why it won't downsample properly.

ok i think i found my problem, i took a screenshot without any anti-aliasing, then i took it with smaa on and literally no difference in image quality, i also turned on transparencyaa and subpixelaa. any sugestionss on how to make smaa work?

edit: i am using the injector and i have the proxy set up, i lose fps but i see no difference in image quality

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Can't say anything about smaa, supersampling is fine itself without any other antialiasing methods. May be smaa do not work with supersampling? Btw, ask users in skyrim gallery topic, they frequently use supersampling for screen archering.

Yea, i decided to not use smaa and just use edge aa and deal with the slight blur, besides, supersampling is impractical for gameplay. Thanks so much for your help.