What should I upgrade?

not under any category
  • Author

What should I upgrade?

Hello everyone! First things first, my specs:

ASUS P8Z68-LX
8 GB G.Skill PC 1333MHz RAM (OC'd to 1600MHz)
EVGA GTX 560 2GB (OC'd)
Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
Win 7 64-bit Home Edition

Now, the question: I would like to upgrade the CPU and GPU. The thing is, I can only upgrade either one or the other at this very moment. I was leaning towards the CPU (Intel Core i5 3570k), but I would like to know what you all thought, if anyone would like to help. I would love to play a Skyrim ENB with a few more effects enabled (right now I only have the RealVision ENB itself enabled, no other effects and capped at 35fps through Nvidia Inspector) as well as increase fps in a few other games (Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, Witcher 2). What I'm asking is, which upgrade would give me the most bang for the buck at the moment? The GPU I was thinking of upgrading to was the EVGA GTX 660. I would also like to know if these upgrades would be smart decisions, or if they're not. Thank you all in advance :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: What should I upgrade?

Your cpu is fast enough and replacing it to 3570k will give better performance only in some games and not with all cases, it depends from camera angles and what happening in game scene. Skyrim is that kind of game which will have bigger fps with new cpu, but even when overclocked (but ivy bridge can't be overclocked much without issues, they are too hot). Much more useful update (you lucky not to have amd cpu) will be new videocard, but gtx 660 is not much faster than gtx 560 or gtx 560 ti (20-40%). Gtx 660 ti have more sense, but for my opinion performance increase 40-60% is too low for upgrading (from other side, gtx 670 cost almost twice price of gtx 660).

Re: What should I upgrade?

Thank you for the quick reply Boris. So a 670 would be ideal for my situation. Looks like I gotta save some more money! Thanks again.