Skyrim - Light on Grass

about everything
  • Author

Skyrim - Light on Grass

Boris, Is it all possible in the future, for Skyrim LE's ENb, to make it so point lighting shows up on the grass at all? As far as I know, only ambient light affects grass which leads to pitch-black grass during the night in a large majority of ENBs when using a torch, candelight, etc.. I know we have ComplexParticleLights and ComplexFireLights which alleviates one big issue, so I was thinking it might be possible to also do what you did for those two to point lighting.

And as another possible suggestion, perhaps make it so the water's SunSpecularMultiplier effect is obscured when the sun isn't visible to the water you're looking at?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim - Light on Grass

Asked before about both.
Capturing lights is performance consuming task, i need to write to array all lights of visible objects then sort them and remove similar data cause it's the same light. This may not sounds like a lot, but visible as fps loss and the more objects on the screen, the much worse performance is. Also this thing have a bug of 1 frame delay for light position and intensity, because grass can be rendered before light is captured, so to be sure i must read all objects till end of frame and in next frame use computed result (and to pray that any object with light is visible on the screen at all). Also performance will be horrible cause grass must have lighting even if light just takes tiny area, dense grass fields already have low fps to drop 3+ times more. If i not find any good way to use lights data for other tasks, i will not do it, not worth to bother.
Removing specular require clouds shadow to be active at first, but people rarely use it, so this feature simply not gonna be used. It's so minor that people mentioned it maybe just 4 times since game exist. Skyrim have many water shaders and i did mistake modifying their assembly version which is hard to read and understand. To not do any bug i must see all waters by my eyes, so it's time consuming to find where those shaders are, i no more have saves for them. So, i need something more than that to learn what i wrote in assembly and do changes again, i'm very lazy if dont have some worthy idea to be motivated. I'll try to find out something to make this request, but no guarantees.

Re: Skyrim - Light on Grass

I understand. Even if you can't implement any of this, I still appreciate you hearing out my suggestions and taking them into consideration. Keep up the divine work on ENB, as I always eagerly await new updates for Fallout 4's and Skyrim LE's.