Windows 10 DX9 VRAM Allocation Fix Incoming [Update]

about everything
  • Author

Windows 10 DX9 VRAM Allocation Fix Incoming [Update]

For those not in the know with the release of Windows 8 Microsoft changed the way DirectX 9 API allocates memory to a game. On Windows 7 DX9 could allocate the entirety of the user's VRAM, and by extension use ENBoost to allocate RAM to the Texture Memory Pool as well, but with Windows 8 and above DX9 can current only allocate 4064MB maximum to the Texture Pool, meaning with heavily modded instances of Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Oblivion, and OG Skyrim the user would be limited in what mods they could install to not reach the memory limit.

In my case I have had to reinstall Windows 7 on a separate partition just for Fallout New Vegas (and FNV:MP when I get around to sorting my load order for MP) which is inconvenient at best.

After having a conversation about the issue with one of the Microsoft devs I got a PM showing that the issue was fixed on their end, let's hope it gets pushed to the stable build!

UPDATE:

Glad this is getting fixed soon.
Last edited by Weion on 31 May 2017, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Windows 10 DX9 VRAM Allocation Fix Maybe Incoming

Wow! Great news, thank you!

*master*

:o This is awesome news.

*master*

Welp, I'll be modding up Oldrim again if this gets fixed. :)

UPDATE:

Glad this is getting fixed soon.

Re: Windows 10 DX9 VRAM Allocation Fix Incoming [Update]

Thanks
Last edited by Jordangamer007 on 06 Jun 2017, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

This would be awesome news if it happens. I still prefer Skyrim Classic and its the only one I play. Have had to go through hoops to get a stable enough game with a tighter mod list.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Zekerriya mentioned to me that there was an update on this. Did a little digging and found this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/com ... ed_in_new/
Hi all, a new build has been released to the Windows Insider fast ring, which contains my fix for the DX9 4GB memory issue. Link to the blog post (this change was not called out in the fixes list).

For those of you not familiar with the Insider program, you can go to https://insider.windows.com/ to sign up. Note that you will get some features that are not done, and are more likely to have bugs in your operating system if you choose to go this route. If you prefer, you can wait until the Fall Creator's update to get this fix.

Let me know if this works for you. Enjoy!

Some people report that MO doesn't use SKSE anymore after installing the windows 10 insider preview RS3 ver 16257 that includes the fix. Can anybody confirm that?
I would like to have this fix, but not having that much RAM anyways, i definitly prefer using MO. :(
And if somebody can confirm it, could somebody report it to the dev? I'm afraid MO won't get an update, but since it works with Win 7 maybe there is a bug in this insider preview?

Nazzzgul wrote:Some people report that MO doesn't use SKSE anymore after installing the windows 10 insider preview RS3 ver 16257 that includes the fix. Can anybody confirm that?
I would like to have this fix, but not having that much RAM anyways, i definitly prefer using MO. :(
And if somebody can confirm it, could somebody report it to the dev? I'm afraid MO won't get an update, but since it works with Win 7 maybe there is a bug in this insider preview?
Where did you hear this? I'm on the latest Insider preview and MO with SKSE works fine. DX9 bug is gone too, I believe.