Skyrim Remastered Edition

about everything
  • Author

Re: Skyrim Remastered Edition

hey I was wondering, since it seems that Sub Surface Scattering will not be possible with the new ENB's it is possible to use the SubSurface Scattering in Fallout 4 and somehow port it over to Skyrim? Because that's a really important feature for realism and I'm sad to see it gone :(

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No

ENBSeries wrote:Mod for SSE will not have similar set of features as for original Skyrim, it's possible only at cost of many years of work. Testing everything is very time consuming, i have around 2000 hours of "gameplay" in Skyrim. Without source code porting from dx9 to dx11 of same engine is hard, but when it's so much different engine, it's absolutely different, no similarities of any kind. Basically, i see some object in game, trying to indentify it logically what type is it and then by it's shaders and properties look what can i do to it. And i must find all similar objects in various weather and time of the day, with various number of lights, because they have different parameters and shaders, so need changed too (otherwise someone coming with tourch closer to object and my code stops working). And i need to check if something else wrongly modified because of same properties and how to fix that, so running everywhere and looking. Not very funny task.
If this is a mostly a cataloging exercise is it possibly something that could be crowd sourced? Can you get the information required using in game tools? or with debug builds of ENB? I may well be misunderstanding what is involved, but one thing the community does know how to do is run around inside Skyrim.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Old Skyrim as almost all games have special data in shaders, this is for example from it:

Code: Select all

//   sampler2D DisplacementSampler;
//   float4 FresnelRI;
//   float3 LightColor[8];
//   float4 LightPos[8];
//   sampler2D Normals01Sampler;
//   sampler2D Normals02Sampler;
//   sampler2D Normals03Sampler;
//   float4 NormalsAmplitude;
//   float4 PosAdjust;
//   float4 WaterParams;
//   Name                Reg   Size
//   ------------------- ----- ----
//   LightPos            c0       5
//   LightColor          c5       5
//   FresnelRI           c10      1
//   PosAdjust           c11      1
//   NormalsAmplitude    c12      1
//   WaterParams         c13      1
//   DisplacementSampler s0       1
//   Normals01Sampler    s1       1
//   Normals02Sampler    s2       1
//   Normals03Sampler    s3       1
So from such information i parse text, find all references in it name of variable, type it, where is it used, can recompile and modify adaptively assembly code, here few lines from same shader:

Code: Select all

texld r3, v2, s3
    mad r3.xyz, r3, c14.y, c14.z
    mul r3.xyz, r3, c12.z
    mad r1.xyw, r2.yzzw, r0.w, r1
    mad r1.xyw, r3.xyzz, r0.w, r1
    dp3 r0.w, r1.xyww, r1.xyww
    rsq r0.w, r0.w
But in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE shaders obfuscated, there is no information of any kind, so i don't know what objects uses which shaders, unless i see them visually and dump, but amount of shaders is huge for various lighting conditions and game video option combinations. For fallout 4 i have dumped via helper plugin, but there is still many things missing, plus i can't any more adaptively modify shaders, need patch all manually. It means huge amount of time and very big chance to make mistakes which i can't test unless such shader will be visible by game and believe me, i do many mistakes when using "copy-paste" procedure from one place to another. Another problem is that game now have huge amount of shaders for no reason, was 1256 in old game, now 8000+ shaders, i can't even modify water, because to patch all shaders and write them to my code as modified is almost 10 times more work. There are other changes made to rendering itself which makes impossible to make many things.

I think that sheds some light on it. I have been pondering various ideas this afternoon, but it sounds like unscrambling and analyzing it is fairly subjective and not easily automated. Having said all that current ENB for SE is well appreciated and does wonders for it. So thank you.