Will ENB benefit from DX12?

about everything
  • Author

Will ENB benefit from DX12?

Hi,
As per the subject, will ENB benefit from DX12 at all? DX12 brings a lot of performance enhancing changes, which would be great for skyrim and might keep me from needing to buy a new card. I know 2 of the big changes are the SLI overhaul and the hyper threading overhaul, both of which are areas of Skyrims background processing that need work, so if Boris could Jury Rig at least some of DX 12 into ENB the results would hopefully be massive.

Re: Will ENB benefit from DX12?

Implementing Direct3D 12 doesn't mean just slapping a new API instead of the old one for an application and there you go. It uses vastly different approach to render a scene in tech aspect, for example, the synchronization task between CPU and GPU must be made entirely by the developer to be handled by the game, not other things what D3D11 or D3D9 do by itself (which I don't know). To make ENBSeries support a new API, the game should already have a support for it and the mod should be rewritten to make use of different approach of the render functions calls.
Guys, you should understand that Dx12/Mantle/Vulkan marketing is like they have some kind of "BLAAAAST PROCESIIING" (remember the beginning of 90s?), which isn't mostly true in practice. CPUs are not fast enough to process huge amount of data. It's not like in 3DMark where there are just mostly graphics.

To make Skyrim use of D3D12, the best option is to rewrite the entire game.
Last edited by JF049 on 25 May 2015, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

It's all fairytales to force users to buy Win10. Skyrim is one big bottleneck, changing graphics api will not solve any issues, because rendering is done in parallel to the game code execution, only heavy mod effects brings balance back as it should in games, videocard dependent. I tried to disable all rendering functions, fps was only 1.5 times higher for vanilla game on my previous amd cpu based computer. Convertion of dx9 code to anything else just makes things even worse because of extra processing required, but first of all it's crazy amount of work, what developers can do easily with engine source code is sadism for me.

PS: i don't know any A+ game of recent years which do not have heavy cpu bottleneck, because of bad programming and high complexity of modern games. If game have huge amount of draw calls count and benefit from dx12, this just means it's programmers need to find another job.

*sensei*

After the obvious Witcher 3 graphical "downgrade" from the 2013 showcase and 2015 final release, I've been thinking about this.
Do we really benefit from DX12? I mean the reason why Witcher 3 got its graphics dumbed down was because CD Project Red announced the game on all capable platforms without even knowing the specs for PS4 and XBone. They realised that the consoles were never gonna be able to render what they first showed us. So they had to "downgrade" it.
I think the main bottleneck for games in the future will be the fact that the companies want to focus more on consoles cuz that's were the profits lies. PC exclusive games is not a possibility when speaking of AAA titles.
What PC gets is a console ported game, with patches that makes at least some sort of customization possible.
CGI ENB

I think the main bottleneck for games in the future will be the fact that the companies want to focus more on consoles cuz that's were the profits lies.
If you mean "bottleneck" as reducing game quality to run well on consoles and then porting those games to Windows without much visual changes, then it's true, otherwise I cannot see the relation between technical/software bottlenecking on PC and making games for consoles knowing the fact that consoles are generally has equal or slightly lower computing power than the average home computer built for games (at the moment of the release of console).
We won't really benefit from DX12/Vulkan unless the game is made specifically for utilizing such "power" (do they really have this?) of those APIs. Remember the demo of Star Swarm. http://store.steampowered.com/app/267130/

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I really don't understand what Microsoft and Sony were thinking with these consoles... When the 360 and PS3 were released they had hardware that was either the early version of the next generation of computer hardware (360 had an early version of ATi HD 2xxx cards... roughly equivalent to HD 2900 Pro I think) or was specially made for consoles (PS3 Cell processor and specialized Nvidia GPU, 360 IBM Xenon Tri-Core processor) thus making them truly next gen. These consoles were already a year old when specs were announced. The XBone only has DDR3 RAM? PS4 has GDDR5, sure, but a Pitcairn GPU? That was upper-midrange, lower high-end when it was new. Sure they have 8 cores, but they're even less capable cores than Piledriver (I think.) Developers are already meeting and exceeding the limits of the "next-gen" consoles. That always took some time in previous generations... this time it's limited out the gate. They can't even deliver 1080p!

Anyways, back to the topic... While there might be some benefit to DX12, it will be extremely limited and is really, as Boris said, is just to entice gamers to buy Windows 10. Of course, the fact they're offering a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 for the first year after launch means I'll get it and won't pay a penny so... Not sure what that is doing other than maybe trying to get people to get Windows 8.1 right now. Marketing and corporate board rooms. That's what we've got.

Man, I miss the days of having a console for some games and have totally separate PC games. Yeah, you might miss games for a platform you didn't have but everything was optimized for whatever it was released for.