Day-Night detection Fallout ENB

about everything
  • Author
*sensei*

Day-Night detection Fallout ENB

Hi Boris,

Just a quick question here.
Tapioks told me that the Day/Night detction routine is regulated by the Horizoncolors in Fallout ENB.
Is that so ?

Thanks,

M.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Day-Night detection Fallout ENB

In fallout it's background clear color (bottom of sky sphere, upper hemisphere is visible geometry). But in skyrim i changed to horizon color of sky as it fit better to weather mods.

*sensei*

OK, but would it not be better to do the same for Fallout too then ?

I mean, we modders don't know what the background clear color is, cause we cannot see it or change it in the geck.
And the night/day detection as it is now does not work very good.
The only place we can find something about the skydome is in the dome's mesh.
But there is no info or possibility to do something with color there.

It is however possible for us to change and influence Horizoncolor, so that would be a very good way to make sure
us weather mod makers can control/influence the night/day detection.
That would make it much more predictable and better.

cause then we could make the horizon bright in the day, dark in the night, and in dusk/dawn inbetween the night/day brightness.

sunlight would be even better, cause sunlight always gets around 0 at night.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

In fallout sky horizon color is not fit by range of values to day/night interpolator. Background clear color is controlled by weather (guess same as skyrim) and users modifying it, the question is which exactly variable is that? The answer is simple, go under the ground in camera fly mode, there clear color.

*sensei*

damn, you are fantastic, that i never thought about that...

you say the clear color is regulated by the weather, but there must be a few colors that make up this clear color in some way.
Like Sunlight + Ambient for instance..

I will change color by color and then go underground till i find which colors influence this clear color, cause then
i know what colors influence this clear color, and then i know what colors to keep in a linear range.

Thanks again, i know enough now to perfect my weather mods.

*sensei*

OK, so i have been experimenting, and i can say that the clear color below the surface is mainly regulated by Fog & Horizon colors.
Fog has the biggest impact though.
If you set FOG to completely white at night, the clear color stays almost white below the surface.
In the GECK editor the entire sphere where the world is in stays brightly lit at night.
And that was the problem with detection in weather mods.

And i did notice that if you set fog and horizon to dark values at night, brighter at the day
and inbetween at dusk and dawn, that the night day detection routine works perfect.

thank you for all you help Boris.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

But white distant fog in the night is mad and buggy looking idea, better ignore it completely.

*sensei*

yes i know, i just made it white to test what color triggers the background color the most.
And fog has the strongest effect on the brightness of the entire worldspace(what's under the ground).
you can see the entire worldspace in the GECK, so that is a good way too check your ENB's behaviour.

so the color of the fog is very important to keep in mind for modders if they want the night/day detection to work ok.

i altered the colors of my weather mod, so all colors at night are now pretty dark, and dusk/dawn inbetween, and the days are bright,
and the ENB detection is perfect, night/day is perfect, and adaptation is perfect..

so i'm very very happy with that.

@Marcurios

Whats the name of your weather mod? I'm going to be installing Fallout again soon and will be using ENB, so if your weather mod works perfectly with it I'd like to try it :D

~Cheers

*sensei*

ENB-Weather, but it's not on any website yet, will be on Moddb when finished.
Probably in a few weeks.