Can ANY HLSL code be used by ENBSeries?

about everything
  • Author

Can ANY HLSL code be used by ENBSeries?

Possibly silly question: I want to start learning HLSL, but was wondering if ENB can essentially process "any" HLSL code, or if there are specific guidelines/restrictions? Most of what I want to accomplish initially are 2D post-processing effects (think of ReShade's "Heat Haze" for example) but later on would love to experiment with depth.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Can ANY HLSL code be used by ENBSeries?

It dependes, buttom line for a shader to work in ENB is that it can be compile by MS offline effect compiler(fxc.exe), aka in HLSL.

After that, the .fx file has to contain a valid effect for enb to process. (ie, just shader alone can't do anything)

And then, you would need to supply parameters/variable/textures to your shader, if sth is missing, then the shader won't operate as expected, even if it compiles. (for example, dof without depth buffer.)

In detail, enb is using MS EffectFramework as base module to handle .fx effects.

however, there are things that are in the ref but will not work in ENB(dx11), such as:
  • SetCompute/Hull/Domain/GeometryShader -ENB only support VS and PS
  • shader array -tried this once and didn't work in dx11, (is working in dx9)
  • SetDepthStencil/RasterizerState
  • SetRenderTargets
and there might be other things too. (these are just what I can think of right now)

**edit for more detail on the subject

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Can ANY HLSL code be used by ENBSeries?

HLSL is same as programming language, it's not an image or sound file to plug-in and see/listen it. So you should at least set up names of variables wand techniques which are "known" to enbseries to make them work.